Jackie Robinson Memorial Field
- At the north end of Brookside Park, the ballpark was named for Jackie Robinson on January 30, 1988.
- Pasadena City College baseball team plays their home games on this field.
- The plaque reads: “Jackie Robinson Memorial Field A scholar, an athlete, a trailblazer Dedicated January 30, 1988.”
100 N. Garfield Ave.
Jo Heckman Memorial Trees
- Dedicated October 3, 1998.
- Two Mexican Fan Palm Trees planted at the east entrance to City Hall, on Euclid Street.
- Plaque reads: In honor and Memory of Jo Heckman Pasadena’s First Woman Mayor 1980-1982 This Living Gateway of Palm Trees is Dedicated by Her Friends October 1998
- Dedicated November 6, 1997.
- Bronze portrait sculptures commemorate the lives of brothers, Jackie and Mack Robinson, located on Garfield Avenue, north of Union Street, across the street from City Hall.
- Completed June 20, 2002 with a ring of granite tiles etched with donor’s names, benches and landscaping, including peach trees. (Pasadena Star News 6/21/02)
- Mack Robinson won the silver medal in the 200-meter race in the 1936 Olympics.
- Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball when in 1947 he joined the Brooklyn Dodgers.
(See also – Brookside Park: Jackie Robinson Memorial Field; Jackie Robinson’s Boyhood Home)
Sister City Trees
- Two plaques mark a small orchard of trees across Garfield Street from City Hall, south of Holly Street.
- One plaque commemorates the sister-city relationship between Pasadena and Vanadzor, Armenia.
- The other plaque reads, “These trees dedicated to the International Friendship between Pasadena, Ludwigshafen, Mishima and Jarvenpaa. Pasadena Sister City Committee December 1988”.
SW corner of Colorado Blvd. & Orange Grove Blvd.
- Alongside the path that extends west from Grand Ave., is a drinking fountain made from river rocks.
- There is a plaque, but it has rusted over and is unreadable.
Founder’s Monument (Pioneer Plaque Rock)
- Designed by Walter C. Beckwith.
- Dedicated Wednesday, January 27, 1954. Rededicated November 12, 1986 when a new plaque replaced the original marker, which had been stolen.
- A green sandstone wall and a bench at the corner of Orange Grove and Colorado are made of stone from the 1890 building of the Pasadena Public Library. A plaque bears the names of the 27 original colonists of Pasadena, which are also listed in the Pasadena Post, June 3, 1937.
- The sandstone wall and bench was repaired in 2003 using sandstone from a wall at the Hillmont House (privately owned). (Pasadena Star News 7-3-03
- Inscribed: “This monument is dedicated in honor of the twenty-seven founders of the City of Pasadena. Near this spot on January 27, 1874 the original purchasers of land in the Rancho San Pasqual met and selected each his choice of lots. With the 27 names following, many of them still prominent in the City.”
- Another rock, inscribed “Founder’s Square” was described and pictured in an undated article (after 1949). The article claims that the rock was found when workmen were widening North Orange Grove Boulevard, and was moved to a warehouse for safe keeping.
Goodhue Flagpole (aka Pasadena Memorial Flagpole @ Orange Grove and Colorado)
- Dedicated February 12, 1927, to the men and women of Pasadena who served in World War I (WWI).
- Designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue and built by Lee Lawrie.
- 115 feet tall.
- List of Pasadenans who gave their lives in WWI is in the Star News, February 11, 1927.
- Originally stood in the center of Orange Grove/West Colorado intersection. Moved to the NE corner because it was declared a traffic hazard.
- Inscription reads: “In Proved Remembrance of Our Glorious Dead MCMXVIII”.
- Unknown who placed it or when it was erected.
- Reads “Defender’s Parkway Dedicated by Mothers of the Defenders of the Flag Soldiers Sailors Marines Who So Gallantly Responded to our Country’s Call 1776 1861 1898 1917”.
- Bronze plaque at the southwest corner of Orange Grove and Colorado Blvd., identifying the spot as the city’s heliport.
- Dedicated October 27, 1950.
- Originally on the Pitch & Putt golf course @ Carmelita Gardens to honor Lt. Orrin Russell Fox, who died in World War II (WWII).
- Moved to Pasadena Art Museum because of freeway construction.
- Moved again to Orange Grove and Colorado, near the Pioneer Plaque monument.
Pasadena Pioneers Bridge
- A plaque embedded on a great native boulder, placed on the west side of Orange Grove overlooking the Ventura Freeway, dedicates the “Pasadena Pioneers Bridge” with this inscription:
“Pasadena Pioneer Bridge erected by the California Commission and the Division of Highways of the Department of Public Works – named by resolution of the 1953 state legislature and dedicated to all Pasadena pioneers especially the twenty seven who founded this city near this spot on January 27, 1874 dedicated October 8, 1953 by the City of Pasadena and a committee of citizens grateful for our illustrious past and committed to a more glorious future.”
- An Italian Cypress was dedicated to Leonard J. Pieroni in May 1996 by Pasadena Chamber of Commerce. Reverend Lawrence Signey officiated the ceremony.
- Pieroni died on April 3, 1996 in an airplane crash in Croatia.
- A plaque marking the tree tells the story:
“In honor of Leonard J. Pieroni 1939-1996 Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Parsons Corporation and an outstanding leader of the Pasadena Business Community, who gave his life while on U.S. Commerce Secretary Brown’s mission to help rebuild the war-torn Balkan region. Pasadena Chamber of Commerce.”
Additionally, a one-block portion of DeLacey Ave., from Union Street north to Parson’s Corporation has been renamed in his honor. (Pasadena Star News, April 17, 1996)
2175 Yucca Lane
- The heliport is named the “Benedict Heliport” in honor of two mayors, A. Ray Benedict and Walter Benedict. A plaque is posted outside the hangar:
Named in Honor of A. Ray Benedict Mayor 1948 – 1951 And Walter Benedict Mayor 1970 – 1978 Dedicated Dec 13, 1975
- A second plaque honors a dedicated police volunteer who worked at the heliport for over 10 years. The plaque is on a pedestal under the flag pole and states:
In Memory of Harold Sadring A Dedicated Police Volunteer “We are Forever Grateful” 2005
- A third plaque to recognize Lieutenant Oldfield’s accomplishments in expanding the heliport facility is placed at the trailer building, which is called “Oldfield Annex”. It is not a memorial, as Oldfield is still living.
Pasadena Police Department Heliport “Oldfield Annex” In Honor of Lieutenant Tom Oldfield June 2002
Jackie Robinson’s Boyhood Home
121 Pepper Street
- Jackie Robinson’s mother, Mallie Robinson, bought the house in 1920. She moved in with 16 month old Jackie and her 4 other children. They were the first African-American family on Pepper Street.
- The Robinson house was torn down in the early 1970’s.
- Today, a plaque in the sidewalk marks the site. It reads: “Jackie Robinson resided on this site with his family from 1922 to 1946.”
(See also – Brookside Park: Jackie Robinson Memorial Field; City Hall: Robinson Memorial)
John Muir High School
- On October 31, 1993, three youths, Stephen Coats, Reginald Crawford and Edgar Evans, were shot on their way home from trick-or-treating. The community was devastated. John Muir High School responded with a memorial to their students, Stephen Coats and Reginald Crawford.
- Imbedded in granite is a plaque that reads:
“In memory of Stephen Coats and Reginald Crawford November 18, 1993 John Muir Student Congress”
Memorial Park (Previously Known As Library Park)
Raymond Ave & Walnut St.
Civil War Memorial
- Dedicated Memorial Day, 1906 (Wood, J.W., Pasadena – Historical and Personal , p. 461)
- Inscribed: “Erected By The Citizens of Pasadena To Perpetuate The Memory Of The Defenders Of The Union ’61 to ‘65”.
- Two Batchelder tile fountains, dedicated in 1932 by the Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War to American War Mothers.
- Inscribed: “Dedicated To Our Mothers By Daughters Of Union Veterans Of The Civil War 1861 – 1865”.
- These fountains were badly damaged in 1990 when Memorial Park was re-landscaped. Fountains were rebuilt from the salvaged pieces.
- Plaque reads: “1732 – 1932 Bicentennial Trees, Planted by Pasadena Chapter D.A.R. March 4, 1932 In Memory of George and Martha Washington”.
- On the west side of Memorial Park is a plaque, inscribed: “Pasadena Chapter D.A.R. 50th Anniversary, Jan. 12, 1956.”
- Dedicated on Memorial Day, 1930 by the American Legion.
Memorial Arch of Library
- The restored entry of the original Library at the southeast corner of Raymond and Walnut, houses a display of historical data with this legend:
“Memorial arch of Pasadena’s first free public library"
- Stone building of Romanesque architecture erected here in the 1880’s, financed largely by public subscription. Served as Pasadena’s main public library from 1890-1927; condemned as unsafe in 1933; razed in 1954.
- This entrance arch, restored in 1955 by the City of Pasadena, at the request of the Pasadena Historical Society, is dedicated to the memory of Pasadena pioneers who in early and difficult days established here a public library as an expression of reverence for literature and art. Their spirit symbolized in this remaining archway, lives on.”
- Dedicated September 9, 1955.
- The date inscribed on the Archway stone is July 4, 1887.
- Severely damaged in the 1994 Northridge earthquake and subsequently fenced in.
Vietnam Veteran Memorial
- Dedicated Veteran’s Day, 1993, City Hall Rotunda.
- Rededicated Sunday, October 24, 2004 in Memorial Park.
- Triangular shaped granite and bronze structure honoring Pasadena servicemen killed or missing in the Vietnam War.
- Inscribed with names of 31 men (no women from Pasadena were killed in Vietnam) also listed in the Star News November 12, 1993.
- The memorial lies west of the park’s band shell with the United States, California and POW/MIA flags flying overhead. (Pasadena Star News, 10-25-04)
Dedicated Veteran’s Day, 1993, City Hall Rotunda.
- Located west of the Gold Shell in Memorial Park.
- Dedicated to “Godfrey Post of G.A.R. Erected by John F. Godfrey Post G.A.R. June 14, 1912”.
- “G.A.R.” stands for “Grand Army of the Republic,” an organization of Civil War veterans who fought for the North.
- Not found upon inspection of park, March, 2007.
Fair Oaks Ave. and Pasadena Ave.
Historical Alley Plaques
- A series of historical markers that pay homage to Pasadena’s earliest settlers, merchants and businesses. There are more than 40 markers scattered throughout the 22 alleys that crisscross Old Pasadena. Some alleys have more than one of the 9 x 12 inch markers.
- Examples include the plaque on Baker Alley, which runs parallel to Fair Oaks between Dayton and Valley, named for John Hamilton Baker, who was one of the original 27 settlers, and the plaque at Mercantile Place, between Fair Oaks and Raymond.
- In alphabetical order, the markers are: Baker Alley, Bonham Alley, Brainard Alley, Braley Court, Carr Alley, Christensen Alley, Edwin Alley, Electric Alley, Exchange Alley, Fraser Alley, Hayes Alley, Hopkins Alley, Hugus Alley, Kendall Alley, Legge Alley, Martin Alley, McCormick Alley, Mercantile Place, Miller Alley, Mills Place, Morgan Alley, Smith Alley. (Old Pasadena, Historic Alley Walkway System)
- 2007 – Temporarily removed for the construction of two new conference buildings.
- Dedicated January 27, 1974 by the Pasadena Foreign Cities Affiliation Committee.
- Located on the west side of the Pasadena Civic Center. The Plaza consists of walkways, a large fountain and a sculpture.
- Ludwigshafen and Mishima Plazas, both designed by landscape architect Lawrence Halpern, were part of the original plan for Pasadena Center.
- At the south end of Ludwigshafen Plaza stands the Moreton Bay Fig, a Pasadena landmark.
- Ludwigshafen Commemorative Pylon, an aluminum sculpture that stands in the fountain, is a scale replica of a 40-ft. column in Pfalzbrau Plaza, in Ludwigshafen, Germany.
- Also referred to as “Ludwigshafenstrasse.” (Pasadena Star News, “Sister cities for 50 years”, Feb. 24, 1998, p. A-3)
- The plaque on the base of the fountain reads :
“Ludwigshafen Plaza Ludwigshafen, Germany Pasadena’s Sister City Dedicated January 27, 1974 Ludwigshafen Platz Ludwigshafen, Deutschland Pasadena’s Partnerstadt Geiwidmet 27 Januar 1947”
- 2007 – Temporarily removed for the construction of two new conference buildings.
- Dedicated May 3, 1974, by the Pasadena Foreign Cities Affiliation Committee.
- The central feature is a 300-seat amphitheater, which has been used for outdoor lectures and musical performances.
- Designed as part of the Pasadena Convention Center, by landscape architect Lawrence Halpern.
- An obelisk stands in the rose garden in Mishima Plaza, carrying the phrase “May Peace Prevail on Earth” in English and three other languages.
- The plaque reads (in both English and Japanese):
“Mishima Plaza Mishima, Japan Pasadena’s Sister City Dedicated May 3, 1974”
- On top of the podium holding the dedication plaque is another plaque which reads, “Jiro Morita Pasadena – Mishima 1892-1975”. Morita was born in Japan and came to Pasadena in 1911. He attended Throop College (now California Institute of Technology) and spent much of his life as a liaison between Japanese speaking people and his fellow U.S. citizens. (Pasadena Star News, June 13, 1971)
207 N. Garfield Ave.
Memorial for Fallen Officers
- A series of plaques on a large column outside the Police Station entrance, dedicated to all officers killed on duty in the department’s history.
- The largest plaque reads as follows:
“In Memorium to those Pasadena Police Officers and Other Law Enforcement Officers killed in Pursuit of Peace and Justice in Pasadena.‘Be just and fear not; let all the ends thou aimest at be thy country’s, thy God’s and Truth’s.’ W. Shakespeare
- This memorial dedicated March 11, 1999 Pasadena Police Department Historical Committee Bernard K. Melekian Police Chief Designed by Officer Victor Cass Words by Corporal Randle Findley”
- Another plaque has a star-shaped badge at the top, which reads: “Pasadena 12 Police.” The plaque is inscribed: “Clarence E. Peck Police Officer Pasadena Police Department Died of an accidental gunshot wound received in the line of duty on August 1, 1911 while attempting to put out a fire at 156 N. Broadway (N. Arroyo Blvd.) August 4, 1911”
- The third plaque begins with a shield-shaped badge, which reads: “Agent Pasadena Police 353.” The plaque inscription reads:
“Richard F. Morris Agent Pasadena Police Department Shot and killed in the line of duty while investigating an assault case in Altadena, California. March 13, 1969.”
- The fourth plaque begins with a U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration logo. The plaque inscription reads:
George M. Montoya Special Agent Drug Enforcement Administration hot and killed during an undercover operation in Pasadena, California February 5, 1988
- The fifth plaque begins with a U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration logo. The inscription reads:
Paul S. Seema Special Agent Drug Enforcement Administration Shot on February 5, 1988 during an undercover operation in Pasadena, California and died the following day. February 6, 1988
2575 Paloma St.
- The entire park was dedicated as “a living memorial to those who fell in World War II” by the Pasadena War Memorial Committee, chaired by Orrin W. Fox on May 25, 1952. (Pasadena Star News , May 26, 1952)
- The park was originally planned as part of a proposed Eaton Wash recreational project, which was slashed when the new Pasadena High School campus was established on part of the planned complex. (Pineda, Manuel, Pasadena Area History, p. 65).
- The park was rededicated on May 29, 2004 after it was refurbished. The improvements were paid for by the City of Pasadena and the San Gabriel Valley Vietnam Veterans Association. Pasadena Star News May 31, 2004
Gold Star Mother’s Flagpole
- The base of the flagpole at the corner of North Altadena Drive and Paloma Street in Victory Park has a plaque provided by Gold Star Mothers.
- Inscribed: “In remembrance of those who made the supreme sacrifice during World War II.”
- The flagpole monument was cleaned and the green concrete base was restored in 2004. The original V-shaped rose garden was replaced with a large concrete “V.” The original plaque remains. Pasadena Star News May 31, 2004.
- Set in a large native boulder along the walk in the center of the children’s play area in Victory Park, a bronze plaque has the insignia: “United for Service National Exchange Club”.
- Inscribed: “This playground equipment is dedicated to all children of the community by the Exchange Club of Pasadena August 11, 1964.
Water And Power Department
San Rafael Hills
- A plaque at the corner of South San Rafael Ave. and La Loma Road commemorates the deaths of three Pasadena Water and Power Department employees who died July 12, 1990, caught in an electrical vault explosion near that corner.
- The Plaque reads:
“In loving memory of our brothers July 12, 1990 Walter Glenn Wise, Brian S. Miles, Larry F. Hokenson”
Water And Power Building
311 W. Mountain Ave.
- A plaque placed in a granite boulder stands in memory of Ralph Alexander and Johnny Long, who were killed in an underground explosion in 1962, as well as the three men killed in the 1990 explosion in the San Rafael area.
- The plaque states:
“In memory from all your co-workers: August 13, 1962 - Ralph “Shorty” Alexander and Johnny Long
July 12, 1990 - Walter Glenn Wise, Brian S. Miles, Larry F. Hokenson”
391 S. Orange Grove. Blvd.
- Located in the rose garden on the north side of Wrigley Mansion, honoring Vietnam War dead, esp. Warrant Officer James Johansen, who died in 1968. Johansen’s mother, Mrs. Barbara Johansen, gave the tree to the city.
- Plaque reads, “The Freedom Tree With the Vision of Universal Freedom for all Mankind This Tree is Dedicated to Warrant Officer James A. Johansen and All Those Lost in the Viet Nam War May 19, 1973.”
Arroyo Seco AIDS Memorial Grove
- Began in February 1991 by the Arroyo Seco Council, a volunteer organization, as part of an effort to reforest the Arroyo. (Los Angeles Times, April 22, 1993)
Brenner Park Play Area
235 Barthe St.
- At the entrance to the Tot play area in Brenner Park, off Chapman Street, a plaque on the drinking fountain indicates community interest. The inscription reads: “Presented by Northwest Property Owners Association, November 1955.”
Business Park of Pasadena
SW corner of Washington Blvd. and Lincoln Ave.
- On the Southeast corner of Washington and Lincoln, at the base of the flagpole, is a plaque in tribute to William Henry Harrison.
- The inscription reads: “On this site stood the private residence of William Henry Harrison (1882-1955) and the office of Harrison Realty Company. Mr. Harrison was Pasadena’s first Black real estate broker and was a pioneer in eliminating segregation and discrimination in the ownership and enjoyment of property by Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians. By his untiring efforts and participation in numerous business and civic activities, he was a significant influence in the City, created many opportunities in housing and employment, and was a major factor in the improvement of the quality of life in Pasadena. Dedicated to the principle of the Equality for All this First day of February, 1989.”
Seco St. and Rosemont Ave.
- At the intersection of Seco Street and Rosemont Avenue is an arc of 13 trees and a boulder inscribed: “Incense Cedars Honoring the Thirteen Colonies Daughters of the American Revolution, June 14, 1929.”
Emma E. Dickenson Bird Sanctuary
S. Arroyo Blvd. between Norwood Dr. and California Blvd.
- The South Arroyo Boulevard area between Norwood Drive and California Boulevard was established as a Bird Sanctuary and includes a fountain designed by Ernest A. Batchelder.
- Dedicated June 18, 1935.
- The marker reads: “This fountain marks the Bird Sanctuary established in 1935 by the City of Pasadena in memory of Emma E. Dickenson its benefactress.”
Grant Park Play Area
232 S. Michigan Ave.
- Certain pieces of the play apparatus at Grant Park have small brass plates attached attesting that they were donations of the Pasadena Kiwanis Club.
Land and Water Company Plaque
45 E. Washington Blvd.
- At La Pintoresca Park near the north side, east of the tennis courts, a low concrete base bears a plaque reading:
“Donated to the City of Pasadena by the North Pasadena Land and Water Company. W.M. Eason, E.S. Moreu, Andrew Larson, A.J. Toolen, P.W. Cartwright, Directors.”
Hamilton Park Memorial
3680 Cartwright St.
- Beside the walk near the entrance to the park which bears his name, and which was constructed atop a large reservoir, is a bronze plaque on a low cast-concrete base:
“In honor of A.L. Hamilton superintendent of Pasadena City Schools 1907-1911. Chairman of the Commission, City of Pasadena 1915-1921. Presented June 11, 1960 by Pasadena Pioneer Association and Pasadena Historical Society.”
Hogoboom Memorial Bench
Ave. 64 and Colorado Blvd.
- Designed by Patricia Ferber, a local artist, using river rock and stone slabs, in memory of Betty Hogoboom and her son, Peter. Betty Hogoboom was a longtime volunteer in education and cultural activities. Peter Hogoboom died of AIDS.
- Dedicated February 3, 1991.
- Located in San Rafael Park.
Orange Grove Blvd. and Sunnyslope Ave.
- Located in Gwinn Park is a grove of trees dedicated to Pasadena’s mayors.
- The park was dedicated October 8, 1972 by the Pasadena Beautiful Foundation in memory of Floyd Gwinn.
- The park, located at Orange Grove and Sunnyslope, was previously known as Sunnyslope Park.
- Also in Gwinn Park is a Camphor tree planted in memory of Ted Huggins, the 6th president and a founding member of the Pasadena Beautiful Foundation.
Melvin and Ruby McKnight Williams Memorial Park
Arroyo Blvd. and Westgate
- Located at the corner of Arroyo Blvd. and Westgate.
- Dedicated June 11, 1989 by the East Arroyo Residents’ Association.
- Ruby McKnight Williams was a civil rights pioneer.
South of the Rose Bowl
- A bronze scroll plaque set in a boulder placed in the island of the approach road south of the Rose Bowl entrance dedicated the Newell Bikeway at a ceremony and gathering of bicycle enthusiasts on May 21, 1966.
- Inscription reads: “Kenneth C. Newell Bikeway. Dedicated May 21, 1966 in honor of Kenneth C. Newell, first president – 1920, Kiwanis Club of Pasadena.”
Between 673 and 695 E. Colorado
- In the Playhouse Paseo, the court between Vroman’s Bookstore and the adjacent theater, a plaque has been placed in memory of William C. “Bill” Reynolds, the Director of City of Pasadena, Housing and Development Department for 20 years. His accomplishments include the revitalization of the Pasadena Playhouse District. Reynolds died in 1999.
- The inscription reads: “In memory and recognition of William C. Reynolds, City of Pasadena Director of Housing and Development Department from 1978 to 1998 For his tireless and dedicated service to the citizens of Pasadena.”
- Dedicated October 14, 2000.
SW Corner of California Blvd. and St. John Ave.
- A Magnolia tree was planted September 5, 1933, in memory of Fannie Critz Richardson. The plaque reads: “This tree planted by the Fannie Critz Richardson Chapter, Children of the Confederacy, in loving memory of their founder. September 5, 1933.”
- A small marker beneath a Crepe Myrtle tree in Singer Park near the rose garden which he has tended many years, bears a testimonial from area residents:
“In appreciation to Howard C. Deitrick faithful guardian of this garden park and of the welfare of all who enjoy its beauty. This tree is dedicated by the neighbors of Singer Park, August 24, 1963.”
Tournament Park Plaque
East side of South Wilson Ave. between California Blvd. and Cornell
- In the remnant area of Tournament Park a plaque placed into a retaining wall records history.
- “Historical site – Tournament Park. Official terminus of the first transcontinental airplane flight. Calbraith (Cal) Perry Rogers took off from Sheepshead Bay New York September 17, 1911, landing here November 5, 1911.
- Earlier flights – Roy Knabenshue piloted his dirigible from here March 29, 1909. Charles Willard landed here in his airplane March 31, 1911.
- Other early events: Balloon flights, horse races, including early Tournament of Roses chariot races, East – West football games, display of Tournament of Roses floats Presented 1962 by Pasadena Pioneer Association and Pasadena Historical Society.”