The mission of the Office of the City Attorney / City Prosecutor is to represent the City of Pasadena with the utmost professionalism and provide the highest quality legal service. The offices work to arrive at creative solutions, which effectively address issues affecting residents and businesses in the City and assure that the public interest is well served in the areas of civil representation and criminal prosecution.
Virtually every program and service offered by the City depends upon support from this department in its establishment, development and operation. Headed by Michele Beal Bagneris, Esq., the department is structured around three primary divisions.
- Represents the City Council and City officers in all matters of law pertaining to their office
- Represents and appears for the City and its officers in all civil actions and proceedings
- Attends meetings of the City Council, Community Development Commission, Fire and Police Retirement Board, and meetings as required
- Prepares all necessary legal documents
- Performs legal research and prepares opinions
- Prosecutes misdemeanor offenses occurring in the City of Pasadena arising out of violations of State or City law
- Drafts and files criminal complaints in Superior court
- Conducts office hearings, pretrial hearings, court and jury trials
- Represents the People of the State in motions, writs and appeals
Liability and Claims
- Makes Risk Management recommendations as relates to the protection of City and its assets
- Recommends the purchase/renewal of Citywide insurance program to include the City’s Operating Companies
- Investigates and resolves all pre-litigation claims presented against the City
- Track claims trends