PASADENA, CA - Laura Rubio-Cornejo, City of Pasadena Director of Transportation, has been appointed to serve as General Manager, City of Los Angeles Department of Transportation. Her last day with the City of Pasadena will be September 15.
“It has been an honor and privilege to have served as Director of Transportation with Pasadena for the last four years. I am proud of the work that I have carried out, delivering multi-modal transportation options to the residents of Pasadena, and advancing the City’s goal of ensuring Pasadena will be a city where people can circulate without cars,” states Cornejo.
City Manager Miguel Márquez said, “Laura has been a strong and steady leader and an integral part of the City’s management team, especially during our unprecedented COVID response and recovery efforts. She has been a remarkable steward of the City’s transportation assets, and a national leader in the transportation industry. Her strong work ethic, warm demeanor, and positive attitude has resulted in numerous accomplishments for the community we serve. She leaves a strong foundation for the City going forward.
Cornejo credits the employees of the Department of Transportation who are unquestionably knowledgeable and committed to providing residents with safe, efficient, and accessible transportation solutions. A few of the major highlights she is most proud of include:
- Negotiating and securing the relinquishment of over 40 acres of 710 transportation corridor, including a one-time $5M payment to the City of Pasadena;
- Securing $230M in Metro Measure R MIP funds to be invested in multi-modal transportation solutions serving the 710N corridor;
- Adoption of the City’s Zero Emission Bus Plan;
- Fully funding the City’s Transit Operations and Maintenance Facility;
- Consolidation of the City’s garage operations contract, saving the City approximately $2M per year; and
- Completion of the Union Street Bikeway.
Cornejo has over 21 years of experience in municipal, regional, and state government. She previously served as the Deputy Executive Officer of Countywide Planning with the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LA Metro).