Comments

Resident?Comments (Count: 657)NameDate

I think effective, balanced and appropriate Oversight makes the Police department stronger.

John LattaAugust 11, 2020 at 11:24 am

I think composition of the review board is fair: up to 5 Police Department members and up to 3 Civilians who have graduated from Citizen's Police Academy. With nominations considered but not guaranteed from City Council. Do the trainees from Citizen's Police Academy also have to serve for a period of time on the Police Department Service Area Advisory Board? That community participation is also valuable -to listen and learn what neighbors are saying and feeling.
Equally important as Civilian Police Oversight is making sure our First Responders have the support and resources they need to do the best job possible. Additional resources across the departments would be beneficial to the city for everyone's health and safety.
Thank you for all you do!

August 11, 2020 at 8:07 am

I believe our sworn officers are honorable people. I have known two officers (now retired) personally and went on a ride-along. I am tired, so very tired, and so very angry, at the idea of "systemic racism" amongst our police or anywhere in society. Police patrols go where the crime happens and anybody who lives in Pasadena knows where that is. The families there who are not involved in crime (many of whom I know in my work as a substance abuse counselor) need to be protected from crime also. We don't need a civilian oversight committee. We need courageous police leaders who won't throw their officers under the bus without an investigation.

Cynthia SchickAugust 7, 2020 at 5:44 am

I would like a mechanism for civilians to oversee the activities and misconduct of the Pasadena Police Department. Many progressive and modern cities already have this mechanisms in place and I firmly believe this proposal will create democratic control of our police department.

DanielAugust 4, 2020 at 8:39 am

We urge the City Council to adopt the proposal for an Police Oversight Commission under the leadership of Councilman John Kennedy, the proposal must be amended to include an Auditor/Investigator of any required issues brought before the Commission. It is IMPERATIVE that the Auditor/Investigator is INDEPENDENT and does NOT report to the City Manager but directly to the Oversight Commission. Likewise the selected person must have legal authority in order for him/her to be effective in the position. After being a resident for over 64 years and involved in many for profit and non-profit capacities in the City of Pasadena and throughout the state of California, I do not want the leadership of Councilman Kennedy to be altered in any manner by not giving authority for the Oversight Commission to be successful from it's inaugural beginning. The time has come for this to happen!!

Drs. EMMELL AND PHYLLIS BEECHAugust 3, 2020 at 6:33 pm

z

August 3, 2020 at 5:06 pm

It is critically important for Pasadena’s police force to have citizen oversight in order to address the systemic racism people of color encounter every day. We need establish a police oversight commission, ensure the hiring of an independent police auditor and grant both with unfettered subpoena power. Taking these actions assures objectivity in protection of all our citizens.

Maureen HarringtonAugust 3, 2020 at 4:26 pm

To City of Pasadena Council Members: It is my desire to impress upon you the importance of voting yes for the Police Oversight provided by civilians in addition to City Manager and City Council and it Public Safety Committee.

As a longtime resident of Pasadena, Senior Citizen living alone, I have seen and experienced many changes. I will personally feel more protected and safe with additional Police accountability and transparency with the placement of a Civilian Oversight group under the leadership of Council Member John Kennedy.

August 3, 2020 at 2:47 pm

Yes, we must establish a police oversight commission and ensure the hiring of an independent police auditor. As well as granting both with unfettered subpoena powers. As soon as possible.

Rachel T. RyanAugust 3, 2020 at 2:41 pm

No, on the Police Oversight Commission as it would be redundant. My understanding is that we have oversight board committees for any problems with police abuse and disciplinary actions. Please do not rush your decision. I think we have one of the most diverse Police Departments in the Country. Our Police Chief is highly respected. Let's not undermine his leadership.

Arturo LeosAugust 3, 2020 at 1:52 pm

No on Civilian police oversight I have lived in City Of Pasadena for 58 years I have lived in the east side in the west side and the north side I have had nothing but good respectful service from our Police Department I believe there are places In this country where this must be done but lets not mistaken ourselves and join the bandwagon for a political reason. This has been a bad example from our higher government offices . Black Lives Matter is extremely important and we need to be sure to put the money in the right place, youth positive reinforcement is a better place. I am very proud of the citizens of the United States that are now protesting for the rights to be protected but once again let’s not do this for political reasons. Black lives matters is extremely important for all I am Brown and I know that in creating the proper program through Black lived matter this will be for everybody

YuriAugust 3, 2020 at 1:37 pm

First, establish a police oversight commission, second, ensure the hiring of an independent police auditor, and third, to grant both with unfettered subpoena powers.

Rev. Tera KleinAugust 3, 2020 at 12:40 pm

Yes to Vice Mayor Hampton’s proposal.
Create a Community Police Oversight Commission.
Include community input for choosing appointees to ensure inclusive representation.
Hire an Independent Police Auditor.
Enable the Commission and the Auditor with full subpoena powers. In order to be effective and credible the Commission must be able to do more than analyze an investigation conducted by the Police Department itself.
Adopt resolutions related to the submitting of a police oversight measure to voters at the November 3, 2020 general municipal election.
The community, particularly those who have been most affected by community/police interactions, has spoken clearly about the need for accountability, transparency and public trust.
Put the charter amendment on the ballot.

Ferne HayesAugust 3, 2020 at 12:02 pm

Absolutely in favor of police oversight. I am disappointed that the PSC consists of politicians that often seek the police unions approval. I am very thankful for our police department and the chief for their hard work. However, I think the community should have a voice in fixing a system that favors (intentionally or not) white and wealthy members. Thank you!

NicoleAugust 3, 2020 at 11:30 am

Councilmembers,

I support the proposal for a civilian police oversight committee as presented by the Public Safety Committee and under the leadership of Chairperson and Councilmember John J. Kennedy.

Good for our Community.Everyone,

Rhonda WilsonAugust 3, 2020 at 11:24 am

We need civilian oversight!

August 3, 2020 at 11:06 am

I will not support any measure to decrease the size of the Pasadena Police force nor defund any portion thereof. I am sorry the City Council has chosen to consider
pandering to the Black Lives Matter mythology that police are inherently racist . Most police officers do their jobs well and without bias. I will certainly support
ongoing training measures to help officers deal with situations more effectively. However, I will not support any measures that make it impossible to do their jobs or
effectively prevent them from apprehending and arresting those committing crimes, no matter what their skin color.

Patrice Wyndham-SmithAugust 3, 2020 at 10:43 am

It’s is absolutely needed! Civilians are essential to a full understanding of the effectiveness of the the police to “serve and protect”.

Margaret FortmeierAugust 3, 2020 at 10:34 am

Police oversight is a must. Pasadena’s police and department need to be held accountable. There should be no one from the police department on the oversight committee and the committee must participate in The police union contracts so that police budgets are brought in (no more overtime, rethink weapons and helicopters), police are held accountable (trained continuously, Interviewed immediately after incidents and not after consulting with reps and fellow officers, fired, prosecuted), The police are demilitarized, and the roles of the police in our community are rethought and distributed to new government entities or nonprofits (and the money reallocated). Using the same formula time and again doesn’t work. The Pasadena police continue to kill and beat minority members of our community. We need not only oversight but reform. Big reform. And we need leaders who are not afraid to fight for it.

C. GhiloniAugust 3, 2020 at 10:19 am

I'm in agreement with the proposal for enhanced Civilian Police Oversight of the Pasadena Police Department because it helps with "check and balances". Whenever, power is issued to any department and organization, there is always the possibility of abusing that "power". We have to constantly remind ourselves, that "no one is above the law". Moreover, we as a community have to come together and built each other up and not tear each other up (Power: The ability to left others up and not bring them down!). I believe this proposal will help the committee and our Police Officer understand better how to handle and deal with every day issues. It's not all about pointing names or criticizing but how can we come together as a unit and solve problems not make them worse. We all have some good we can contribute to our community, we just need to have ears to hear and a sincere and humble heart to listen and not become emotionally hurt because of what was said or done. Justice will always prevail, the unjust and wicked will have their day in judgment. Peace is always the best solution rather than someone pushing their power in the wrong direction.

Javier MercadoAugust 3, 2020 at 10:07 am

With the information I have so far, I will vote against any police oversight committee. Having consulted the FBI statistics on crime by group, I am not persuaded that there is a bias against minorities on the part of the police department at the national or local level. In my experience with the Pasadena Police Department (PPD), I have witnessed a very professional group of individuals; interestingly, my interactions have been with mostly Latinos, black, and women officers. We have mechanisms in place already to deal with any code violation by the PPD. I don't believe any further action is warranted. Overreacting to current events could lead to the PPD losing effectiveness in carrying out their law-enforcement duties out of fear of bogus lawsuits.

Respectfully,

JC

August 3, 2020 at 9:53 am

Need civilian oversight over Police Dept. Some activists from the minority communities should be on the panel. Majority on the panel should be minorities.3/4 should be women. The men have had the leadership roles forever. Women are half of the population. Give them a chance to lead. We need their compassionate and inclusive leadership.

ValerieAugust 3, 2020 at 9:47 am

As a 20+ year resident of Pasadena, I agree that recent changes in leadership and policy at the Pasadena Police Department are headed in the right direction, but they are not going far enough or fast enough. I support Vice Mayor Hampton’s proposals for real oversight that include a truly independent auditor who has subpoena power. Transparency is key. I hope my City Councilmember, Andy Wilson, will do the right thing and support Vice Mayor Hampton’s proposals for real change that will improve the lives of all Pasadena residents and protect the dignity of our Black and Brown neighbors.

Jennifer ThibaultAugust 3, 2020 at 9:16 am

-No to a Police Oversight Commission.

-What has occurred in Pasadena since 2016 when you voted against it? You have a Police Chief since 2018 that is highly regarded and praised. Why the need now and not in 2016?

-We have a very diverse police department with a Hispanic male and Black Female in the two top positions.

-What is the cost to implement this? We have a 13% decrease in sales tax for the first three months of the year with a predicted decrease of 27% for the second quarter which indicates a massive budget deficit next year and possibly for years to come. What position in the city would be eliminated or reduced due to this police oversight committee. Library hours seem to be the first to go. We need our services - they've already been reduced in recent years. We don't need more reductions.

-There is a HUGE budget deficit looming for 2021 and for many years after.

- The police chief is mentioned to serve on a police oversight committee. Does that city have a paid position/s overseeing their commission OR is it much like Pasadena's many citizen commissions? Pasadena does not have the budget or need for this.

- You have heard from a group of activists. This is unfair to the majority of citizens that will bear the cost and endure more loss of services.

MariaAugust 3, 2020 at 9:08 am

I believe our police department will move forward to consider the communities request for transparency. By accepting the invitation to improve the relationship between civilians and police, trust will only improve. It is necessary for everyone to be more considerate, compassionate, and prioritize the legacy of our diverse City. May we all be a reflection of the beauty and substance held by the City of Pasadena.

Lolita SpratlingAugust 3, 2020 at 1:28 am

Although not a resident, I have been a “stakeholder” in this city for over 40 years beginning as a consultant for the city library, assisting in the envisioning of community neighborhood empowerment, educating grandchildren, and partnering in the civic engagement work that is a hallmark of this great city.
This entire nation is poised to re-imagine public safety and I see you as a leader with the approval of this proposal. In short, it is time to examine the public safety structure, to actionalize the motto of the police dept. with evidence that protecting all of the public is its highest priority, and to craft solutions where needed.
Honorable Councilmembers, for five years a proposal for a Civilian Police Oversight Committee has been introduced and failed to pass. Today, I join with Pasadena residents, in urging you to unanimously approve item #6 offered by the Public Safety committee. Councilman Kennedy, your leadership as chair is to be commended. Even though today’s proposal may not accomplish all of your long held goals, it is a step in the right direction. Approval sends a signal that healing open wounds caused by racial discord and create pathways to unity in the community.

JACQUELYN DUPONT-WALKERAugust 2, 2020 at 10:56 pm

I believe a Police Oversight committee is a great idea. Civilian oversight will help to keep things in check. If the opportunity arose, I would love to be apart of this committee. Holding others accountable for their actions is never a wrong thing.

Kenya ZAugust 2, 2020 at 10:09 pm

The police department needs to be more transparent and accountable which can happen once a cvilian oversight group is put in place.

UpAugust 2, 2020 at 9:23 pm

I SUPPORT THE PROPOSAL FOR CIDILIAN POLICE OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE I BELEVIE PASDADENA BE A SAFER PLACE

charlene townsAugust 2, 2020 at 6:17 pm

Hello — My name is Michael Tulsky, I‘m a Pasadena resident, and I live in District 6. I’m calling on the elected officials of the Pasadena City Council to please vote YES to amend the City Charter by putting the proposed civilian oversight commission (and the hiring of an independent police auditor with subpoena powers) on the November 3rd General Election ballot. Thank you for your time and effort.

Michael TulskyAugust 2, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Hello,

My name is Beth Stavros and I work in Pasadena at Mayfield Jr. School. I have also lived there for multiple years before moving to Alhambra. I believe Police Oversight is one of many necessary steps in maintaining an equitable and fair environment throughout Pasadena. As this city has had its own issues with police violence, I think we can all agree this is a much needed start to a long and necessary journey.

BethAugust 2, 2020 at 12:35 am

I strongly encourage the implementation of an independent City Council with the ability to audit and conduct their own investigations. This is an important component to public safety. Police officers are paid by our funds, we are their employers. There are currently no mechanisms to increase transparency and accountability in the work they do. Even oversight into their mask use while on the job (or lack there of) would be beneficial.

Katelin Eden DukesAugust 1, 2020 at 8:09 am

If you have a Police Oversight Committee, I would like the opportunity to be on it.

Kim a SantellJuly 30, 2020 at 10:32 am

I greatly support that a civilian oversight committee be established, as presented by the Public Safety Committee. I want to thank Council Member John Kennedy and Mayor Terry Tornek for their work on the proposal.

As a citizen of Pasadena, I feel that a civilian oversight committee is greatly needed. I feel safer and more confident knowing that members of the community are a part of the decision making when it comes to questionable police actions and I really like that the committee will have independent oversight.

This is what our community needs and want. It is the will and right of the community, to feel assure that the rights of community members to have a say about their police force is heard, and their wishes are adhered to. This proposal is a giant step in the right direction.

I urge that each member of the Pasadena City Council do what is needed for the citizens of this fine city and vote in favor of the proposal put forth by the Public Safety Committee. This is what we want and need to make our community fair, equal and whole,

Mary E KnoxJuly 27, 2020 at 1:25 pm

Under what legal authority is Terry Tornek meeting with city staff to craft private policy initiatives outside the normal public hearing process?

Under what legal authority does Tornek participate in meetings between City staff, developers and developer lawyers?
Our charter restricts interactions between elected officials and city staff to inquiries only.   Elected officials are barred from giving direction to city staff or attempting to influence their decisions.
It is clear that Terry Tornek is corruptly meeting with city staff in secret and behind the scenes for the purpose of corruptly influencing and controlling the recommendations that city staff make.
This is tantamount to a Judge privately meeting with the prosecution to decide how their case should be presented.
This is bad government in action and Tornek's arrogant and self-serving insertion of himself into the staff process should be rejected.

July 27, 2020 at 12:29 pm

Dear Mayor Terry Tornek and Pasadena City Councilmembers,

I support the proposal for a civilian police oversight committee as presented by the Public Safety Committee and crafted by Chairperson and Councilmember John Kennedy and Committee Member Mayor Terry Tornek.

L. Garf
Zip: 91104

July 27, 2020 at 10:14 am

There absolutely needs to be additional civilian oversight of the Pasadena Police Department. This needs to be a group of residents of Pasadena who are not on the city council, so that perspectives of people other than politicians, who are part of the system, are considered. The members need to represent Pasadena's diverse neighborhoods and economic strata.

The group should be autonomous from the police department and city council so they can be free of undue influence, and should not include police officers or their relatives..

These people should be selected by the residents of the neighborhoods. They should have complete access to all evidence and information. Their findings should be binding, i.e. the police chief should not be able to ignore them.

Additionally, an outside mental health professional should give all police department members annual reviews to ensure they are stable enough to serve all races, classes and elements of the population.

Cody TaylorJuly 27, 2020 at 12:15 am

Thank you for soliciting feedback from residents.

As taxpayers who fund and are unevenly served by the police department, we should have civilian oversight until none of our elected City Council persons take a dime from the Pasadena Police Officers Association.

We also need a say in terms of budget priorities. Policescorecard.org reports that the Pasadena Police Department spending per capita in 2018 was $566, far more than other neighboring cities including Los Angeles ($403).

July 26, 2020 at 8:35 pm

There MUST be civilian oversight on Pasadena PD.

July 26, 2020 at 12:05 am

The current structure of civilian oversight provided by the City Manager, City Council and its Public Safety Committee is more than adequate to assure the safety of the public and provide for a well managed police department. My military background tells me, if it ain't broke don't fix it! Law and order with justice is our goal and too many players can ruin a good thing. Press on and keep the peace! Thank you for your service!

Terry SheffieldJuly 25, 2020 at 3:04 pm

WE need an Over Sight committee. Thank you Councilman John Kennedy for working tirelessly for years to get a Police Oversight committee in the City of Pasadena. I am hopeful that the City council will approve it on Monday.

Elisia FarmerJuly 24, 2020 at 8:22 pm

I have only lived in Pasadena since late Feb, so I am not the best resident to say if oversight is required. However, after watching the NATIONAL situation with police deteriorate, it is clear that there is a "don't snitch on your fellow officer" vibe going around. That is street gang mentality. I expect all police officers to have higher standards. There are some bad officers out there and some truly amazing ones. However, good officers face punishment from other officers if they report a bad officer...that must stop.

I have no idea if this is applicable to the Pasadena PD. As long as that type of mentality is absent...and I mean completely... from the Pasadena PD, then things are on the right track.

Secondly, I read that back in 2012, it was decided to encrypt your police scanner frequency. That is a questionable action. Reversing this decision would go a LONG way in the whole "oversight" thing, if you are looking for a way to do so.

Troy CJuly 24, 2020 at 7:34 am

Civilian oversight is just part of the plan to make cops jobs harder to do. It will cause police to hold back when they should be active in a crime situation. It will endanger their lives and cause tremendous moral issues. Can you imagine the cases of fake alleged police brutality that will arise from mostly minorities in an attempt to lessen the crime statistics. The Marxist groups taking over our country and destroying our cities would love to take down the police which is part of their plan to destroy our way of life. Too many officials are taking a knee when they should be standing up to crime and putting public safety first. The police have to recruit from the human race which is flawed. A few bad cops cause tremendous problems for the vast majority of good cops. Thankfully the bad ones are being weeded out much more quickly these days. Pasadena has a great police department capable of doing their job without the intervention of civilians who have no idea the hardships our brave police officers face on a daily basis. I think all police officers should be required to have their body cams on 100% of the time to document all encounters they are involved in.

July 24, 2020 at 6:55 am

Hello, my name is Reo Glancey, and I am a resident of Council district 7.

Community based police oversight is a necessary step towards establishing community justice, police accountability, and reimagining how public safety is provided in Pasadena.

My comments refer to the Public Safety Committee’s review of civilian oversight of the Pasadena Police Department.

All police officers need to be held accountable. Pasadena residents deserve to know when an officer uses force unlawfully especially when it causes injury or death to the victim, or when an officer is using racial profiling to harass residents, or when the department is using surveillance technology like facial recognition. Today, that is not the case.

Additionally, the city should provide the media with access the police radio, and allow the public to hear basic calls for service. The future oversight commission should have
complete access to the unencrypted scanners. Unencrypted police scanners lead to greater transparency and accountability between law enforcement and the community it serves.

Creating strong civilian oversight of the Police Department is a tangible step the city can take to reimagine how police duties are performed in our community.

I am calling on the Public Safety committee to recommend to the entire City Council that the City create a community police oversight commission and a full-time Independent Police Auditor position.

The community police oversight commission should be selected from the community and consist entirely of non-law enforcement appointees. The auditor should have the authority to provide civilian oversight of the department including subpoena power, selecting the commission staff and reporting to the City Council.

Reo Glancey

Reo GlanceyJuly 22, 2020 at 9:37 pm

I am of the opinion that no additional Police Oversight is required at this time. Pasadena has been my home for 51 years. Over that time period the Police Dept has adapted to the needs of it citizens. The last thing we need is an additional Civilian review body ( of amateurs). We need the current Over-site committee working with the Police Dept. to stay in place. They have the experience and knowledge to get the job done in an professional manner.
The last thing we want is the problems that Portland and Seattle have.

Andrew Gantner - Dist 6July 22, 2020 at 5:54 pm

I am a 40 year resident of the city of Pasadena. But I come to the matter of oversight of the Pasadena Police as one unfamiliar with the history or current status of the issue in the city. I take it as a given that civilian oversight/review boards of policing are necessary and appropriate. Lack of accountability inevitably leads to impunity for abusive use of the policing power. However, I have certain concerns about how the process and structures for oversight might be envisioned in the current climate of civil unrest and rising violent crime in our nation's largest cities. The principles, policies and structures that may eventually be adopted must be appropriate for the needs of Pasadena, and not a a copy or adaptation of what is adopted in other cities with very different histories and needs.

There are a number of memes that fill the airwaves of mass media that have taken hold in the public's mind and are propagated as uncontested fact. Those who question them are viewed as uninformed and out of touch. My plea here is that every assumption and premise upon which ideas for the shape, principles and structures of police oversight be examined (not assumed) for their factuality.

To begin with, are we sure we are not trying to fix something that is not really broken? For example, is excessive use of force by Pasadena police a problem that cries out for correction? Or, might we, in the current limate assume a problem that does in fact exist and adopt policy guidelines that inadvertently make it too personally risky for officers to engage a suspect who is determined not to be taken into custody, perhaps as a murder suspect, a domestic abuser, or a parental kidnapper?

A meme that goes unquestioned is that police departments are systemically racist, their policing is unfairly targeted against minorities simply because of racist motives, and those minorities are customarily treated with the kind of disrespect and even violence that their white counterparts rarely have to suffer. Is there evidence of any such pattern or practice of sucho policing by Pasadena's police? If there is, is it currently routine or recurring? Or, is that something that is now in the past, whether by civilian reform, court injunction, or other means? Is there a real problem here based in fact that must be fixed? Or, might we be simply assuming the factuality of the oft shouted memes of the crowd?

For the sake of brevity I will leave off here with the plea once again - and ever more necessary it is in a turbulent time such as we are currently in - that the passions and memes of the crowd not be allowed to overshadow facts and reason as the consideration of civilian oversight of the Pasadena Police Dept. moves forward. IF IT IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT. In the long run such fixes inevitably run into the stubborn facts of reality, often exposing the short-sightedness of the original decisions.

David GallowayJuly 22, 2020 at 5:49 pm

Dept of Civility & Social Order Facilitation

The notion of “Civilian Oversight” fundamentally begs the question: oversight of exactly what? This proposal takes a step back to gain another perspective on “policing” in general, and considers alternatives to currently popular initiatives to “abolishing” or “defunding” Police Departments.

Rethink the term/concept “Law Enforcement”
Rethink the term/concept “Criminal Justice”
Redistribute functions
Redefine roles & responsibilities
Reorganize reporting relationships

The overriding theme of this proposal is to parse out task situations that have typically been problematic for many police officers, and instead have them performed by those who are better prepared by virtue of their education, training, and personality traits.

Admittedly, many task situations with which tradional police officers are involved have elements of potential physical danger, during which force may (or may not) be required at some level. Hard crime situations like robbery, rape, and assault would still be addressed by armed Police Officers. However, lower risk task situations would be effectively performed by unarmed professional specialists, such as Transportation Safety Officers and Social Services Officers. For specific situations that may show a plausible potential for violence, armed Security Agents should be employed to assist professional officers (e.g.,Transportation Safety Officers), at their request and direction.

A thorough, Job and Organizational Analysis should be performed as a foundation for any proposed changes.

Expected to be cost neutral.

Challenges could be substantial and may include organizational “turf” issues, police union resistance, and implementation strategies and timelines, among others.

Hard Crime Section (look at police department arming policies/practices elsewhere—investigate and encourage/require non lethal alternatives)

Acute/Emergency/Hot Crime Unit (reduce/eliminate militarization)
Robbery, assault, rape, mayhem
Core staff: Police Officer

Chronic Unit (look at analytical methods, predictive analytics)
Burglary, organized crime, gambling
Core staff: Crime information Analyst

Transportation Facilitation and Safety Section (unarmed)
Core staff: Transportation Safety Officer
Public transit, subways, busses
Traffic monitoring (and enforcement)
Highway Patrol
Accident assistance
Alcohol prevention/monitoring

Domestic/Family/Neighborhood Issues Section (unarmed)
Core staff: Social Services Officer (with as-needed support from subordinate Security Agent)
Abuse intervention/psych/social services
Mediation/Negotiation
Public drunkeness/OD
Home welfare checks
Homeless checks

Gang “Intervention” & Violent Social System Mitigation Section
Core staff: Youth Services Officer (with as-needed support from subordinate Security Agent)
Urban intelligence
School system laisons
Occupational/recreational alternatives

Crowd/Event Control
Consider privatizing

Drug Enforcement
Consider legalizing/ decriminalizing

Prostitution
Consider legalizing/ decriminalizing

Community Relations (PR may be less necessary)

Dr. Stephen MagelJuly 22, 2020 at 3:12 pm

I support an enhanced Civilian Police Oversight of Pasadena police department. It is important that our police are reflective of, and committed to, our community and answerable to our citizens. Black Lives Matter. Police brutality and racism in our policing must end. Reform is needed in our policing. Accountability and transparency is important to that reform.
I support:
- getting rid of qualified immunity.
- Data collection about what police do and how they do it
- Reducing excessive force policing, including reduction in ticketing and arrest quotas.
- Better training for police officers
- Require oversight for arrests for “failure to comply,” “resisting arrest,” “disorderly conduct,” or “disturbing the peace.”
- Do a better job of certifying and, when necessary, decertifying officers.
- De-militarize the police.
- Defunding elements of militarized and certain police activities and move more funds into education, community support, mental health workers, homelessness services
Support & request Federal Government policing reform - Encourage Congress to pass the Justice in Policing Reform Act

Thank you so much for continuing to move forward and for the combined efforts of Pasadena departments to manage Black Lives Matter protests and covid in a positive way.

Susan LambertJuly 22, 2020 at 2:56 pm

The Pasadena Safety Committee needs to recommend to city council that they create a community police oversight commission (who should be selected from the community and consist entirely of non-law enforcement appointees), as well as a full-time independent Police Auditor position, who holds authority to provide civilian oversight, including subpoena power, selecting the commission staff, and reporting to City Council.

Before the last few weeks, I was unaware- as I’m sure many Pasadena residents are- of the tragic and unnecessary deaths of residents such as Leroy Barnes in 2009 and Kendrec McDade in 2012, at the hands of Pasadena police. The fact that Kendrec McDade was murdered by two officers who were never charged or even fired from the department, and that the city of Pasadena attempted to cover up the embarrassingly damning results of the OIRG investigation into the murder, was and is unacceptable. That case needs to be re-opened, and those officers need to be let go immediately.

Four years after that event, Officer Matthew Griffin, one of the two who killed Kendrec McDade, was AGAIN involved in the senseless killing of Reginald Thomas at the hands of Pasadena PD. Shame on the Pasadena PD and on this city as a whole, for continuing to allow him to remain on the force and to kill again. I believe that lack of just resolution to the Kendrec McDade case is and will continue to be a strong barrier to shared trust between the city of Pasadena and our police department, especially as the police department allowed the officers to view video and audio recordings of the incident before they were interviewed and did not interview them until 36 hours AFTER the incident, they did not question the decision by the officers to keep their lights off and to neglect to activate their on-vehicle camera, they did not question or punish the decision made by the officers to improperly utilize a “box-in” technique that caused them to put themselves and Mr. McDade both in potential greater harm, and although the man who lied about McDade having a gun was initially arrested for involuntary manslaughter, the officers who did the slaughtering were continually protected by their department and by the city from any repercussion. What has Pasadena PD done to address the many recommendations that were made by the OIRG to prevent similar incidents from happening? How many of those recommendations have they actually implemented? Pasadena residents deserve to know this information, in order to know that Pasadena PD values the continued safety of its residents, even at the expense of greater accountability and training for its officers.

I appreciate that Officer Perez acknowledges that police should not be providing several of the services that they are called upon to respond to, including dealing with unhoused persons, people with mental health issues, and other non-violent calls. I would like to see the city council work with leaders from the city and the oversight committee to determine ways in which we can re-imagine public safety to utilize or develop other community-led, unarmed first responders to be the ones to respond to, and de-escalate these situations.

One of the other major changes that I would like to see implemented in the police department is oversight and disciplinary action related to examples of racism in the department. There cannot be a culture in our police department in which racist behaviors are accepted and overlooked, especially due to a concern that speaking out against other officers will result in negative repercussions for that officer. I’ve heard from numerous residents of color in Pasadena who felt that they were unfairly targeted because of race, and I think that an oversight committee should create a way for both civilians and other officers to safely and anonymously report instances of perceived racism by the police department, and seriously review and investigate those claims.

Lastly, I reject and am offended by Officer Perez’s comments today in the meeting that he is worried about losing police officers to other cities if they are made to do more paperwork related to increased levels of police accountability, or if they are made to feel “as though the city is not supporting them”. The priority of the Pasadena police department should always be its citizens, first and foremost. If Officer Perez is more worried about losing officers as a result of the community’s higher standards of accountability from its police force, than worried about the lives that could be lost at the hands of police by NOT requiring these higher standards of conduct, then he should not be serving as our Police Chief.

I hope that you will take these points into consideration, in remembrance that many of these concerns are shared by the thousands who have been peacefully protesting in the streets of Pasadena for weeks, as well as many more residents who have been unable or have chosen not to physically protest, but who similarly want to see a higher standard of accountability for our police force.

RSJuly 22, 2020 at 2:50 pm

The proposal submitted by Mayor Tornek and Councilmember Kennedy for enhanced civilian oversight does not go far enough. The proposal makes no mention of subpoena power, and it is unclear how a civilian police oversight body can hold the Pasadena Police Department accountable without subpoena power. Moreover, the proposed commission only allows for three members of the public from community groups, while the rest are to be appointed by each member of the city council, the city manager, and the chief of police. We need a civilian police oversight commission with teeth that reflects the actual demographics of the people of Pasadena. As a resident of District 3, I ask that you find the courage and strength to do the work and implement comprehensive reform.

July 22, 2020 at 11:29 am