Comments

Resident? Comments (Count: 664) Name Date

This is for research purposes

July 4, 2021 at 3:34 pm

All police departments need more outside oversight. I think that the police force of a community should reflect in percentages the people they are policing. So if you have 50% black people in the community then there needs to be active recruitment of 50% black people on the force. You shouldn't ask people to self identify look at a color swatch and figure it out. Anyone who says this is profiling would be correct. But guess what? A tanned person of Latino descent is much more likely to be picked up that a light skinned one so it doesn't matter what a check box says. If the dark ("bad") v light ("good") is a subconscious and sometimes conscious reality with regards to punishment and enforcement practices then it should be the case with hiring and enforcement practices. Since the population is about split on women to men ratio we need to seek parity in that demographic as well. We need to reward civic engagement and punish departments with excessive force. People matter. And I don't like my tax payer money going to settlements for egregious and blatant disregard for human life and civil rights. I don't want to subsidize civil settlements, where the situations could have been avoided with better training, better leadership, better company culture, and enforced deescalation training. Standing up for yourself is not against the law. Respect and trust is a two way street. An immediate review needs to be done. So is we see, and we do see that, hand to the gun is the first reaction we need to take away the guns and the tazers. Anyone who has had recent compliance and ethics training can get theirs back. There needs to be a sign off on this procedure. If a citizen makes a complaint then it needs to be looked into. If a gun is pulled on a person the cop need to sit down with the person who had the barrel pointed at them and talk about how they felt and get answers as to what was going on in the cop's mind especially if the person has no violent record and is still alive. I think peer mediation with a neutral outside party should be explored for every incident for at least a year. I am sure if you partnered with religious leaders, educators, community activism leaders, and sociologists we would be able to make this happen. We have to see each other as humans and not "other". When someone in the department behaves badly it needs to be documented and there needs to be accountability. I dislike that some cops think it is OK not to take a police report and actively push people away. That is unacceptable and the first thing that needs to be AND can be easily addressed. We all need to do better.

August 24, 2020 at 9:26 pm

Council should adopt the Public Safety Committee's proposal BUT stipulate the Commission's "9-13 members appointed by the City Council" include at least one representative from Pasadena's 7 city council districts.

Tom McGovern August 23, 2020 at 8:37 am

There absolutely needs to be additional civilian oversight of the Pasadena Police Department. This needs to be a group of residents of Pasadena who are not on the city council, so that perspectives of people other than politicians, who are part of the system, are considered. The members need to be from all economic stratus of residents and all neighborhoods. The group should be autonomous from the police department and city council so they can be free of undue influence. These people should be selected by the residents of the neighborhoods. They should have complete access to all evidence and information. Their findings should be binding. Additionally, an outside mental health professional should give all police department members annual reviews to ensure they are stable enough to serve all races, classes and elements of the population.

Camellia Lee August 20, 2020 at 8:01 am

I implore the Pasadena City Council, the Public Safety Committee, Councilman Steve Madison and Mayor Tornek to support the creation of a citizen oversight committee for the Pasadena Police Department. I am a seven year resident of Pasadena, a husband, a father and a voter, and the safety of all members of our community is of the utmost importance to me. So please, use the power of your elected office to help protect our citizens. Thank you.

August 17, 2020 at 1:49 pm

Having an oversite committee for the Pasadena Police Department is fair, as long as you do NOT defund or even take any funds from them, These positions on the Police oversite committee should not be positions appointed by anyone in the Pasadena govenment as it is way to do favors for others (you rub my back, i'll rub yours). The oversite committee should have representatives from each district and be made up of maybe retired police officers, homeowners, and small business owners. These are the people who have a vested interest in the community. I would include renters, but they are not as vested as a person who owns property or owns a business and pays property taxes that pay for these services like: police, fire, schools.....Do NOT defund police, or take any funds from them. Pasadena has a good police department,,,in fact give more funding to them and make them a great police department,

August 11, 2020 at 7:05 pm

Do NOT defund the Pasadena Police Department. The Police Department (as they are) are very much needed. In fact, I belive they need more funding. I have lived her 30 years and have never had a problem (personally) or know of anyone who has. Any encounter I have had with Pasadena Police, the officers have been very professional and willing to listen. We have great officers, and those who show any bias or prejudice should be removed. I think Pasadena needs to show their appreciation for a job well done, With Antifa and the BLM Organization, I believe we need more officers especially in the residential neighborhoods to make sure there terrorist groups do not enter into our neighborhoods and terrorize the homeowners, renters, businesses, and the community. Provide more funding and get more police on the streets to prevent another Portland, The way to stop the insanity is to stop it before it happens. Thank God Old Town or anywhere else in Pasadena was not looted like LA!!!! God bless the Pasadena Police.

August 11, 2020 at 4:34 pm

I think effective, balanced and appropriate Oversight makes the Police department stronger.

John Latta August 11, 2020 at 11:24 am

I think composition of the review board is fair: up to 5 Police Department members and up to 3 Civilians who have graduated from Citizen's Police Academy. With nominations considered but not guaranteed from City Council. Do the trainees from Citizen's Police Academy also have to serve for a period of time on the Police Department Service Area Advisory Board? That community participation is also valuable -to listen and learn what neighbors are saying and feeling.
Equally important as Civilian Police Oversight is making sure our First Responders have the support and resources they need to do the best job possible. Additional resources across the departments would be beneficial to the city for everyone's health and safety.
Thank you for all you do!

August 11, 2020 at 8:07 am

I believe our sworn officers are honorable people. I have known two officers (now retired) personally and went on a ride-along. I am tired, so very tired, and so very angry, at the idea of "systemic racism" amongst our police or anywhere in society. Police patrols go where the crime happens and anybody who lives in Pasadena knows where that is. The families there who are not involved in crime (many of whom I know in my work as a substance abuse counselor) need to be protected from crime also. We don't need a civilian oversight committee. We need courageous police leaders who won't throw their officers under the bus without an investigation.

Cynthia Schick August 7, 2020 at 5:44 am

I would like a mechanism for civilians to oversee the activities and misconduct of the Pasadena Police Department. Many progressive and modern cities already have this mechanisms in place and I firmly believe this proposal will create democratic control of our police department.

Daniel August 4, 2020 at 8:39 am

We urge the City Council to adopt the proposal for an Police Oversight Commission under the leadership of Councilman John Kennedy, the proposal must be amended to include an Auditor/Investigator of any required issues brought before the Commission. It is IMPERATIVE that the Auditor/Investigator is INDEPENDENT and does NOT report to the City Manager but directly to the Oversight Commission. Likewise the selected person must have legal authority in order for him/her to be effective in the position. After being a resident for over 64 years and involved in many for profit and non-profit capacities in the City of Pasadena and throughout the state of California, I do not want the leadership of Councilman Kennedy to be altered in any manner by not giving authority for the Oversight Commission to be successful from it's inaugural beginning. The time has come for this to happen!!

Drs. EMMELL AND PHYLLIS BEECH August 3, 2020 at 6:33 pm

z

August 3, 2020 at 5:06 pm

It is critically important for Pasadena’s police force to have citizen oversight in order to address the systemic racism people of color encounter every day. We need establish a police oversight commission, ensure the hiring of an independent police auditor and grant both with unfettered subpoena power. Taking these actions assures objectivity in protection of all our citizens.

Maureen Harrington August 3, 2020 at 4:26 pm

To City of Pasadena Council Members: It is my desire to impress upon you the importance of voting yes for the Police Oversight provided by civilians in addition to City Manager and City Council and it Public Safety Committee.

As a longtime resident of Pasadena, Senior Citizen living alone, I have seen and experienced many changes. I will personally feel more protected and safe with additional Police accountability and transparency with the placement of a Civilian Oversight group under the leadership of Council Member John Kennedy.

August 3, 2020 at 2:47 pm

Yes, we must establish a police oversight commission and ensure the hiring of an independent police auditor. As well as granting both with unfettered subpoena powers. As soon as possible.

Rachel T. Ryan August 3, 2020 at 2:41 pm

No, on the Police Oversight Commission as it would be redundant. My understanding is that we have oversight board committees for any problems with police abuse and disciplinary actions. Please do not rush your decision. I think we have one of the most diverse Police Departments in the Country. Our Police Chief is highly respected. Let's not undermine his leadership.

Arturo Leos August 3, 2020 at 1:52 pm

No on Civilian police oversight I have lived in City Of Pasadena for 58 years I have lived in the east side in the west side and the north side I have had nothing but good respectful service from our Police Department I believe there are places In this country where this must be done but lets not mistaken ourselves and join the bandwagon for a political reason. This has been a bad example from our higher government offices . Black Lives Matter is extremely important and we need to be sure to put the money in the right place, youth positive reinforcement is a better place. I am very proud of the citizens of the United States that are now protesting for the rights to be protected but once again let’s not do this for political reasons. Black lives matters is extremely important for all I am Brown and I know that in creating the proper program through Black lived matter this will be for everybody

Yuri August 3, 2020 at 1:37 pm

First, establish a police oversight commission, second, ensure the hiring of an independent police auditor, and third, to grant both with unfettered subpoena powers.

Rev. Tera Klein August 3, 2020 at 12:40 pm

Yes to Vice Mayor Hampton’s proposal.
Create a Community Police Oversight Commission.
Include community input for choosing appointees to ensure inclusive representation.
Hire an Independent Police Auditor.
Enable the Commission and the Auditor with full subpoena powers. In order to be effective and credible the Commission must be able to do more than analyze an investigation conducted by the Police Department itself.
Adopt resolutions related to the submitting of a police oversight measure to voters at the November 3, 2020 general municipal election.
The community, particularly those who have been most affected by community/police interactions, has spoken clearly about the need for accountability, transparency and public trust.
Put the charter amendment on the ballot.

Ferne Hayes August 3, 2020 at 12:02 pm

Absolutely in favor of police oversight. I am disappointed that the PSC consists of politicians that often seek the police unions approval. I am very thankful for our police department and the chief for their hard work. However, I think the community should have a voice in fixing a system that favors (intentionally or not) white and wealthy members. Thank you!

Nicole August 3, 2020 at 11:30 am

Councilmembers,

I support the proposal for a civilian police oversight committee as presented by the Public Safety Committee and under the leadership of Chairperson and Councilmember John J. Kennedy.

Good for our Community.Everyone,

Rhonda Wilson August 3, 2020 at 11:24 am

We need civilian oversight!

August 3, 2020 at 11:06 am

I will not support any measure to decrease the size of the Pasadena Police force nor defund any portion thereof. I am sorry the City Council has chosen to consider
pandering to the Black Lives Matter mythology that police are inherently racist . Most police officers do their jobs well and without bias. I will certainly support
ongoing training measures to help officers deal with situations more effectively. However, I will not support any measures that make it impossible to do their jobs or
effectively prevent them from apprehending and arresting those committing crimes, no matter what their skin color.

Patrice Wyndham-Smith August 3, 2020 at 10:43 am

It’s is absolutely needed! Civilians are essential to a full understanding of the effectiveness of the the police to “serve and protect”.

Margaret Fortmeier August 3, 2020 at 10:34 am

Police oversight is a must. Pasadena’s police and department need to be held accountable. There should be no one from the police department on the oversight committee and the committee must participate in The police union contracts so that police budgets are brought in (no more overtime, rethink weapons and helicopters), police are held accountable (trained continuously, Interviewed immediately after incidents and not after consulting with reps and fellow officers, fired, prosecuted), The police are demilitarized, and the roles of the police in our community are rethought and distributed to new government entities or nonprofits (and the money reallocated). Using the same formula time and again doesn’t work. The Pasadena police continue to kill and beat minority members of our community. We need not only oversight but reform. Big reform. And we need leaders who are not afraid to fight for it.

C. Ghiloni August 3, 2020 at 10:19 am

I'm in agreement with the proposal for enhanced Civilian Police Oversight of the Pasadena Police Department because it helps with "check and balances". Whenever, power is issued to any department and organization, there is always the possibility of abusing that "power". We have to constantly remind ourselves, that "no one is above the law". Moreover, we as a community have to come together and built each other up and not tear each other up (Power: The ability to left others up and not bring them down!). I believe this proposal will help the committee and our Police Officer understand better how to handle and deal with every day issues. It's not all about pointing names or criticizing but how can we come together as a unit and solve problems not make them worse. We all have some good we can contribute to our community, we just need to have ears to hear and a sincere and humble heart to listen and not become emotionally hurt because of what was said or done. Justice will always prevail, the unjust and wicked will have their day in judgment. Peace is always the best solution rather than someone pushing their power in the wrong direction.

Javier Mercado August 3, 2020 at 10:07 am

With the information I have so far, I will vote against any police oversight committee. Having consulted the FBI statistics on crime by group, I am not persuaded that there is a bias against minorities on the part of the police department at the national or local level. In my experience with the Pasadena Police Department (PPD), I have witnessed a very professional group of individuals; interestingly, my interactions have been with mostly Latinos, black, and women officers. We have mechanisms in place already to deal with any code violation by the PPD. I don't believe any further action is warranted. Overreacting to current events could lead to the PPD losing effectiveness in carrying out their law-enforcement duties out of fear of bogus lawsuits.

Respectfully,

JC

August 3, 2020 at 9:53 am

Need civilian oversight over Police Dept. Some activists from the minority communities should be on the panel. Majority on the panel should be minorities.3/4 should be women. The men have had the leadership roles forever. Women are half of the population. Give them a chance to lead. We need their compassionate and inclusive leadership.

Valerie August 3, 2020 at 9:47 am

As a 20+ year resident of Pasadena, I agree that recent changes in leadership and policy at the Pasadena Police Department are headed in the right direction, but they are not going far enough or fast enough. I support Vice Mayor Hampton’s proposals for real oversight that include a truly independent auditor who has subpoena power. Transparency is key. I hope my City Councilmember, Andy Wilson, will do the right thing and support Vice Mayor Hampton’s proposals for real change that will improve the lives of all Pasadena residents and protect the dignity of our Black and Brown neighbors.

Jennifer Thibault August 3, 2020 at 9:16 am

-No to a Police Oversight Commission.

-What has occurred in Pasadena since 2016 when you voted against it? You have a Police Chief since 2018 that is highly regarded and praised. Why the need now and not in 2016?

-We have a very diverse police department with a Hispanic male and Black Female in the two top positions.

-What is the cost to implement this? We have a 13% decrease in sales tax for the first three months of the year with a predicted decrease of 27% for the second quarter which indicates a massive budget deficit next year and possibly for years to come. What position in the city would be eliminated or reduced due to this police oversight committee. Library hours seem to be the first to go. We need our services - they've already been reduced in recent years. We don't need more reductions.

-There is a HUGE budget deficit looming for 2021 and for many years after.

- The police chief is mentioned to serve on a police oversight committee. Does that city have a paid position/s overseeing their commission OR is it much like Pasadena's many citizen commissions? Pasadena does not have the budget or need for this.

- You have heard from a group of activists. This is unfair to the majority of citizens that will bear the cost and endure more loss of services.

Maria August 3, 2020 at 9:08 am

I believe our police department will move forward to consider the communities request for transparency. By accepting the invitation to improve the relationship between civilians and police, trust will only improve. It is necessary for everyone to be more considerate, compassionate, and prioritize the legacy of our diverse City. May we all be a reflection of the beauty and substance held by the City of Pasadena.

Lolita Spratling August 3, 2020 at 1:28 am

Although not a resident, I have been a “stakeholder” in this city for over 40 years beginning as a consultant for the city library, assisting in the envisioning of community neighborhood empowerment, educating grandchildren, and partnering in the civic engagement work that is a hallmark of this great city.
This entire nation is poised to re-imagine public safety and I see you as a leader with the approval of this proposal. In short, it is time to examine the public safety structure, to actionalize the motto of the police dept. with evidence that protecting all of the public is its highest priority, and to craft solutions where needed.
Honorable Councilmembers, for five years a proposal for a Civilian Police Oversight Committee has been introduced and failed to pass. Today, I join with Pasadena residents, in urging you to unanimously approve item #6 offered by the Public Safety committee. Councilman Kennedy, your leadership as chair is to be commended. Even though today’s proposal may not accomplish all of your long held goals, it is a step in the right direction. Approval sends a signal that healing open wounds caused by racial discord and create pathways to unity in the community.

JACQUELYN DUPONT-WALKER August 2, 2020 at 10:56 pm

I believe a Police Oversight committee is a great idea. Civilian oversight will help to keep things in check. If the opportunity arose, I would love to be apart of this committee. Holding others accountable for their actions is never a wrong thing.

Kenya Z August 2, 2020 at 10:09 pm

The police department needs to be more transparent and accountable which can happen once a cvilian oversight group is put in place.

Up August 2, 2020 at 9:23 pm

I SUPPORT THE PROPOSAL FOR CIDILIAN POLICE OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE I BELEVIE PASDADENA BE A SAFER PLACE

charlene towns August 2, 2020 at 6:17 pm

Hello — My name is Michael Tulsky, I‘m a Pasadena resident, and I live in District 6. I’m calling on the elected officials of the Pasadena City Council to please vote YES to amend the City Charter by putting the proposed civilian oversight commission (and the hiring of an independent police auditor with subpoena powers) on the November 3rd General Election ballot. Thank you for your time and effort.

Michael Tulsky August 2, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Hello,

My name is Beth Stavros and I work in Pasadena at Mayfield Jr. School. I have also lived there for multiple years before moving to Alhambra. I believe Police Oversight is one of many necessary steps in maintaining an equitable and fair environment throughout Pasadena. As this city has had its own issues with police violence, I think we can all agree this is a much needed start to a long and necessary journey.

Beth August 2, 2020 at 12:35 am

I strongly encourage the implementation of an independent City Council with the ability to audit and conduct their own investigations. This is an important component to public safety. Police officers are paid by our funds, we are their employers. There are currently no mechanisms to increase transparency and accountability in the work they do. Even oversight into their mask use while on the job (or lack there of) would be beneficial.

Katelin Eden Dukes August 1, 2020 at 8:09 am

If you have a Police Oversight Committee, I would like the opportunity to be on it.

Kim a Santell July 30, 2020 at 10:32 am

I greatly support that a civilian oversight committee be established, as presented by the Public Safety Committee. I want to thank Council Member John Kennedy and Mayor Terry Tornek for their work on the proposal.

As a citizen of Pasadena, I feel that a civilian oversight committee is greatly needed. I feel safer and more confident knowing that members of the community are a part of the decision making when it comes to questionable police actions and I really like that the committee will have independent oversight.

This is what our community needs and want. It is the will and right of the community, to feel assure that the rights of community members to have a say about their police force is heard, and their wishes are adhered to. This proposal is a giant step in the right direction.

I urge that each member of the Pasadena City Council do what is needed for the citizens of this fine city and vote in favor of the proposal put forth by the Public Safety Committee. This is what we want and need to make our community fair, equal and whole,

Mary E Knox July 27, 2020 at 1:25 pm

Under what legal authority is Terry Tornek meeting with city staff to craft private policy initiatives outside the normal public hearing process?

Under what legal authority does Tornek participate in meetings between City staff, developers and developer lawyers?
Our charter restricts interactions between elected officials and city staff to inquiries only.   Elected officials are barred from giving direction to city staff or attempting to influence their decisions.
It is clear that Terry Tornek is corruptly meeting with city staff in secret and behind the scenes for the purpose of corruptly influencing and controlling the recommendations that city staff make.
This is tantamount to a Judge privately meeting with the prosecution to decide how their case should be presented.
This is bad government in action and Tornek's arrogant and self-serving insertion of himself into the staff process should be rejected.

July 27, 2020 at 12:29 pm

Dear Mayor Terry Tornek and Pasadena City Councilmembers,

I support the proposal for a civilian police oversight committee as presented by the Public Safety Committee and crafted by Chairperson and Councilmember John Kennedy and Committee Member Mayor Terry Tornek.

L. Garf
Zip: 91104

July 27, 2020 at 10:14 am

There absolutely needs to be additional civilian oversight of the Pasadena Police Department. This needs to be a group of residents of Pasadena who are not on the city council, so that perspectives of people other than politicians, who are part of the system, are considered. The members need to represent Pasadena's diverse neighborhoods and economic strata.

The group should be autonomous from the police department and city council so they can be free of undue influence, and should not include police officers or their relatives..

These people should be selected by the residents of the neighborhoods. They should have complete access to all evidence and information. Their findings should be binding, i.e. the police chief should not be able to ignore them.

Cody Taylor July 27, 2020 at 12:15 am

Thank you for soliciting feedback from residents.

As taxpayers who fund and are unevenly served by the police department, we should have civilian oversight until none of our elected City Council persons take a dime from the Pasadena Police Officers Association.

We also need a say in terms of budget priorities. Policescorecard.org reports that the Pasadena Police Department spending per capita in 2018 was $566, far more than other neighboring cities including Los Angeles ($403).

July 26, 2020 at 8:35 pm

There MUST be civilian oversight on Pasadena PD.

July 26, 2020 at 12:05 am

The current structure of civilian oversight provided by the City Manager, City Council and its Public Safety Committee is more than adequate to assure the safety of the public and provide for a well managed police department. My military background tells me, if it ain't broke don't fix it! Law and order with justice is our goal and too many players can ruin a good thing. Press on and keep the peace! Thank you for your service!

Terry Sheffield July 25, 2020 at 3:04 pm

WE need an Over Sight committee. Thank you Councilman John Kennedy for working tirelessly for years to get a Police Oversight committee in the City of Pasadena. I am hopeful that the City council will approve it on Monday.

Elisia Farmer July 24, 2020 at 8:22 pm

I have only lived in Pasadena since late Feb, so I am not the best resident to say if oversight is required. However, after watching the NATIONAL situation with police deteriorate, it is clear that there is a "don't snitch on your fellow officer" vibe going around. That is street gang mentality. I expect all police officers to have higher standards. There are some bad officers out there and some truly amazing ones. However, good officers face punishment from other officers if they report a bad officer...that must stop.

I have no idea if this is applicable to the Pasadena PD. As long as that type of mentality is absent...and I mean completely... from the Pasadena PD, then things are on the right track.

Secondly, I read that back in 2012, it was decided to encrypt your police scanner frequency. That is a questionable action. Reversing this decision would go a LONG way in the whole "oversight" thing, if you are looking for a way to do so.

Troy C July 24, 2020 at 7:34 am

Civilian oversight is just part of the plan to make cops jobs harder to do. It will cause police to hold back when they should be active in a crime situation. It will endanger their lives and cause tremendous moral issues. Can you imagine the cases of fake alleged police brutality that will arise from mostly minorities in an attempt to lessen the crime statistics. The Marxist groups taking over our country and destroying our cities would love to take down the police which is part of their plan to destroy our way of life. Too many officials are taking a knee when they should be standing up to crime and putting public safety first. The police have to recruit from the human race which is flawed. A few bad cops cause tremendous problems for the vast majority of good cops. Thankfully the bad ones are being weeded out much more quickly these days. Pasadena has a great police department capable of doing their job without the intervention of civilians who have no idea the hardships our brave police officers face on a daily basis. I think all police officers should be required to have their body cams on 100% of the time to document all encounters they are involved in.

July 24, 2020 at 6:55 am