In an effort to keep you informed of developments related to COVID-19, the City of Pasadena offers the following information to the Pasadena business community. Our goal is to disseminate accurate public health information, offer recommendations to prepare for and slow the spread of the virus, and provide links to resources for additional information. Please disseminate this information with your businesses, community partners, etc.
Pasadena Restaurant Week - Enjoy From the Comforts of Home!
From now until Sunday, May 2nd, Pasadena's restaurateurs are coming together for the annual Pasadena Restaurant Week. This year, the event takes place with a twist - as a take out edition! Restaurants are an important part of the community. Restaurants employ people whose familiar faces greet and welcome the community in. Now, more than ever, restaurants and their employees need the support of the community. Whether you order take out or buy a gift card, show Pasadena's restaurants and eateries a little extra love. To view a full list of Pasadena restaurants offering take out and delivery, click here.
SBA Loans - Local Resource to Help You Apply
The Pasadena Small Business Development Center (SBDC) will host a webinar tomorrow, April 30th at 9 am for businesses interested in learning about the CARES Act and SBA Relief Funding. As information changes daily, SBDC webinars are a good resource to stay up-to-date and get the facts. Each session features Q&A, so come prepared with questions. For more information and to register, click here.
If you are unable to attend, you can view an encore presentation of last week's SBDC webinar for Pasadena businesses on the City of Pasadena YouTube channel. For more information, click here.
Growing Your Online Business - FREE Webinar
This Friday, May 1st, the Pasadena SBDC will host a free webinar for businesses who need a refresher or how-to on e-commerce strategies. Now is the time to make sure your business is set-up for omni-channel retail and marketing. To register, click here.
Building & Safety Permits - Temporary Submittal Procedures
The City of Pasadena Building & Safety Division continues to accept and process applications during the local state of emergency. Although the Permit Center remains closed to the public, permit applications, new submittals, resubmittals and revisions can still be submitted online. For more information and FAQ's about the temporary submittal process, click here.
Local Stimulus Utility Rebate Checks
Last week, eligible PWP electric customers began receiving their rebate checks from the City of Pasadena. The rebate check is for an amount of the Underground Utility Surtax (UUG Surtax) that was paid by electric customers for the past two-year period, from April 2018 through March 2020. If you have questions or would like more information call (626) 744-4005 or click here.
Facebook Small Business Grant Program
The Facebook Small Business Grant Program is accepting applications through May 8th. The Los Angeles Metropolitan Area is an eligible area under the program. Businesses must meet certain criteria and use the funds to support your business operations. For more information and to apply, click here.
Top 3 Things Business Owners Can Do Now
With news and information churning out on the daily, here are 3 things that business owners can do now to keep the lights on. For more information, click here.
New Pandemic Unemployment Assistance Program Is Live
As part of the CARES Act, the State of California just launched the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program through the State's Employment Development Department. PUA provides assistance for unemployed or partially unemployed individuals who are not eligible for regular unemployment insurance and who are unavailable to work due to COVID-19 related circumstances. For more information, click here.
Free Pasadena-branded Video Conference Backgrounds
Show some civic pride on your next Zoom meeting with some Pasadena themed video conference backgrounds. Download your favorite image and upload to your video conference platform... for free! For more information, click here.
What Does Reopening A Restaurant Look Like After the Order has Lifted?
Many restaurants are asking what reopening will look like in Pasadena after the order has lifted. While there is no date certain for lifting the order, the Pasadena Public Health Department has indicated that food facilities that have temporarily closed must contact the Environmental Health Office at (626) 744-6004 for approval once the stay-at-home orders are lifted. In most instances, approvals to reopen will be granted over the phone. Prior to calling, operators should conduct a self-inspection to verify the following:
- Utilities are on and all equipment is working properly
- Water heater is adjusted to produce hot water of 120F or greater at the ware washing sink
- All refrigeration units are equipped with working and accurate thermometers
- The facility is vermin-free and has recently been treated by a licensed pest control company
In some instances, an inspection will be required prior to reopening. This will occur of the facility changed ownership while closed, if the menu changed, or if equipment was added, removed, or replaced.
Marketing Opportunity for Pasadena Businesses
Pasadena businesses with free engaging content are encouraged to take advantage of a marketing opportunity to include your business in the "Connect Pasadena" directory of virtual content. Since it's launch, the directory has been featured on NPR, NBC Los Angeles, and Pasadena Now.
“Connect Pasadena” is intended to provide Pasadenans with a variety of content to keep them active, entertained and enlightened while safe at home, as the community continues to practice safe social distancing during COVID-19. To view the directory, click here.
To submit virtual content for inclusion, click here. Content must meet certain criteria.
Local Store Marketing Tool To Help Your Business
The City of Pasadena is pleased to offer Pasadena businesses an additional marketing tool to target potential customers, especially in planning for future marketing campaigns. Businesses interested in repositioning or finding and attracting new audiences can do that with the help of a local store marketing tool. The LSMx program is intended for small and/or independent business owners and provides customer and trade area insights. Here is a demo video. To learn more and to sign-up to access this FREE tool, Pasadena businesses should click here.
Helpful Links For State Business Resources:
- The State Employment Development Department (EDD) has a dedicated webpage for worker and employer issues related to COVID-19. Info for workers includes: unemployment & disability insurance, paid family leave, reduced work hours, etc. Info for employers includes: tax assistance, potential closure or layoffs, and workplace health & safety.
- EDD Tax Assistance - Employers experiencing a hardship as a result of COVID-19 may request up to a 60-day extension of time from the EDD to file their state payroll reports and/or deposit state payroll taxes without penalty or interest. Call the EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center 1-888-745-3886 (toll-free).
- OnwardCA is a new resource for the people of the state of California impacted by COVID-19. For more information, click here.
- The Small Business Finance Center (SBFC) partners with Financial Development Corporations to provide loan guarantees and direct loans for small businesses that experience capital access barriers. For more info about loan programs can be found here.
Helpful Links Regarding COVID-19:
- City of Pasadena Novel Coronavirus page
- City of Pasadena COVID-19 Information for Businesses
- Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Information Page & Business Toolkit
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention Novel Coronavirus page
- Center for Disease Control Guidelines for Workplace, Home & School
- Before travelling, please visit the Department of State Travel Advisory page
- Please call 211, the LA County hotline, for any health and human services needs.
- Follow the City of Pasadena on Social Media for frequent updates: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
Sign-Up for Business Briefing Updates:
Please encourage your merchants, business owners, and associates to subscribe to receive these business updates related to the City of Pasadena's response to COVID-19. To subscribe, click here.
We appreciate our business community's patience, understanding, and support
as we navigate the challenges related to COVID-19.
We are a resilient community.
We are in this together.
Please stay healthy and safe.