Briefing on COVID-19 for
Pasadena Business Community
March 17, 2020
In an effort to keep you informed of developments related to COVID-19, the City of Pasadena offers the following information to the Pasadena Business Community. Our goal is to disseminate accurate public health information, offer recommendations to prepare and slow the spread of the virus, and provide links to resources for additional information. Please disseminate this information with your businesses, community partners, etc.
Pasadena Takeout & Delivery Directory- List Your Business
The City of Pasadena is here to support our local business community as many pivot to offer takeout and delivery service. All Pasadena restaurants and cafes that are offering takeout and delivery, please add your business to the directory now being compiled by the City of Pasadena & Pasadena Convention & Visitors Bureau. Business can sign-up here. The directory will update every 24 hours.
Proclamation of Local Emergency
REMINDER: On March 16, 2020, the City Manager proclaimed a Local State of Emergency in the City of Pasadena to empower the City to more effectively respond to the novel coronavirus disease, COVID-19. You can view the full press release here.
Please share the following infographic on social media to reinforce the local directive with the community:
IMPORTANT: Small Business Assistance Disaster Loans Now Being Processed
The application link is now open for any California businesses to apply for a disaster loan related to economic damage from the COVID-19 health crisis. Businesses are encouraged to apply early. For information about the 3-Step Process, the SBA provides a helpful overview found here.
You can find the link to the Long Term Disaster Loan Application here.
Price Gouging Strictly Enforced
Due to the state of emergency declarations made by President Trump on March 13th and Governor Newsom on March 4th, Penal Code section 396 dealing with price gouging is now in effect. It is illegal in California to engage in price gouging when a state of emergency is declared. Price gouging can happen during emergency situations, when a business or individual attempts to raise prices to unfair levels as people are impacted by an emergency situation. Penal Code section 396 prevents increases of more than 10% on goods and services during a state of emergency.
Families in the City of Pasadena and elsewhere are dealing with a serious situation involving the Coronavirus. Lives have been disrupted and everyday activities of life have been curtailed or even eliminated. They shouldn’t have to worry about unscrupulous businesses or individuals trying to illegally cheat them out of their hard earned money.
Penal Code section 396 protects people impacted by an emergency from price gouging on housing, lodging, gas, food and other essential supplies. The City of Pasadena will strictly enforce the price gouging laws and will hold those guilty of violating its provisions accountable.
The Pasadena Police Department will enforce Penal Code Section 396 under the Executive Order of the Governor. The public should report possible price-gouging by calling the Pasadena City Prosecutor’s Office at 626-744-4611 or the Pasadena Police Department at (626)744-4241. Officers will investigate and make arrests when possible.
Small Business Resources During COVID-19 Disruptions
The California Small Business Development Centers are a resource for businesses that need assistance navigating business impacts from the evolving COVID-19 pandemic. The SBDC is offering the following services:
• COVID-19: What Small Business Owners Should Do Now — Thursday March 19th @ 10am Led by emergency management experts Michelle Constant and Ashley Slight. Registration is required. A link to register is here.
• SBDC Virtual Business Consulting - always at no cost - Schedule a virtual consultation by calling 1-866-588-SBDC (7232). Get help with applying for relief, guiding you through available resources, cash flow concerns, supply chain interruptions, workforce capacity, insurance coverage and more.
Helpful Links For State Business Resources:
• The State Employment Development Department (EDD) has a dedicated webpage for worker and employer issues related to COVID-19. Info for workers includes: unemployment & disability insurance, paid family leave, reduced work hours, etc. Info for employers includes: tax assistance, potential closure or layoffs, and workplace health & safety.
• EDD Tax Assistance - Employers experiencing a hardship as a result of COVID-19 may request up to a 60-day extension of time from the EDD to file their state payroll reports and/or deposit state payroll taxes without penalty or interest. Call the EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center 1-888-745-3886 (toll-free).
• The Small Business Finance Center (SBFC) partners with Financial Development Corporations to provide loan guarantees and direct loans for small businesses that experience capital access barriers. For more info about loan programs can be found here.
Helpful Links Regarding COVID-19:
• City of Pasadena Novel Coronavirus page
• Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Information Page & Business Toolkit
• Center for Disease Control and Prevention Novel Coronavirus page
• Center for Disease Control Guidelines for Workplace, Home & School
• Before travelling, please visit the Department of State Travel Advisory page
• Please call 211, the LA County hotline, for any health and human services needs.
• Follow the City of Pasadena on Social Media for frequent updates: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
Sign-Up for Business Briefing Updates:
Please encourage your merchants, business owners, and associates to subscribe to receive these business updates related to the City of Pasadena's response to COVID-19. To subscribe, click here.
We appreciate our business community's patience, understanding, and support as we navigate the challenges related to COVID-19. We are a resilient community. We are in this together. Please stay healthy and safe.
If you would like to receive future email updates regarding COVID-19, please sign up on City of Pasadena website http://www.cityofpasadena.net/
Copyright © 2020 City of Pasadena, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
City of Pasadena
100 N Garfield Ave Fl 4
Pasadena, CA 91101-1726
Add us to your address book
Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.