Briefing on COVID-19 for
Pasadena Business Community
March 19, 2020
In an effort to keep you informed of developments related to COVID-19, the City of Pasadena offers the following information to the Pasadena business community. Our goal is to disseminate accurate public health information, offer recommendations to prepare for and slow the spread of the virus, and provide links to resources for additional information. Please disseminate this information with your businesses, community partners, etc.
The COVID-19 Briefings will continue in the coming weeks, but on a less frequent basis. As developments and resources become available, we remain committed to sharing information with the Pasadena business community.
City of Pasadena Issues Safer At Home Order for Control of COVID-19
In concert with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Pasadena Health Officer Dr. Ying-Ying Goh has issued a new proclamation regarding the COVID-19 outbreak. The purpose of this Order is to prohibit public and private events or gatherings of 10 or more people, and require the closure of malls, shopping centers, children's playgrounds, and non-essential retail businesses in an effort to stem or slow the spread of COVID-19 within the Pasadena community. To read the full press release click here.
New Webpage With COVID-19 Information for Businesses
The City of Pasadena has consolidated a list of resources for the business community to assist with disaster recovery related to COVID-19. Information includes business resilience resources, information for employers, & information for employees. For more information click here.
Pasadena Takeout & Delivery Directory Live- It's Not Too Late To List Your Business
The Directory of Pasadena restaurants, bakeries, and cafes offering takeout & delivery is now live at this site. Please help spread the word to residents, office workers, etc. to help show our restaurants a little love and help them keep the lights on. The directory will update every 24 hours.
To make parking easier for the public, parking spaces in front of these businesses will be temporarily converted to 20-minute parking to make curbside pick-up of food and delivery easier. For more info on modifications to the City's parking policy, click here.
All Pasadena restaurants and cafes that are offering takeout and delivery, please continue to add your business to the directory now being compiled by the City of Pasadena & Pasadena Convention & Visitors Bureau. Business can sign-up here.
IMPORTANT: Small Business Assistance Disaster Loans Now Being Processed
The application link is now open for any California businesses to apply for a disaster loan related to economic damage from the COVID-19 health crisis. Businesses are encouraged to apply early. For information about the 3-Step Process, the SBA provides a helpful overview found here. Applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or email email@example.com. Individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing may call (800) 877-8339.
You can find the link to the Long Term Disaster Loan Application here.
Moratorium on Evictions- Tenant Protection Update
The Pasadena City Council held a special meeting on March 17, 2020, to ratify the recent Local State of Emergency Declaration, and consider relief measures to reduce the economic impacts on residents and businesses. Through this action, the City Council established a moratorium on evictions for non-payment of rent by tenants impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
For more information regarding the Declaration of Local Emergency, including the Second Supplement establishing a moratorium on evictions for non-payment of rent for commercial tenants, please click here.
Foothill Workforce Development Board Resources During COVID-19 Disruptions
The Foothill Workforce Development Board offers solutions to help companies avoid laying off employees in times of economic downturn or business hardship. For more information click here.
The Foothill Workforce Development Board also offers employees layoff recovery services and guidance. For more information click here.
Small Business Development Center Resources During COVID-19 Disruptions
The California Small Business Development Centers are a resource for businesses that need assistance navigating business impacts from the evolving COVID-19 pandemic. The SBDC is offering the following services:
• SBDC Virtual Business Consulting - always at no cost - Schedule a virtual consultation by calling 1-866-588-SBDC (7232). Get help with applying for relief, guiding you through available resources, cash flow concerns, supply chain interruptions, workforce capacity, insurance coverage and more.
• A dedicated webpage with info about SBDC services during COVID-19 is here.
Helpful Links For State Business Resources:
• The State Employment Development Department (EDD) has a dedicated webpage for worker and employer issues related to COVID-19. Info for workers includes: unemployment & disability insurance, paid family leave, reduced work hours, etc. Info for employers includes: tax assistance, potential closure or layoffs, and workplace health & safety.
• EDD Tax Assistance - Employers experiencing a hardship as a result of COVID-19 may request up to a 60-day extension of time from the EDD to file their state payroll reports and/or deposit state payroll taxes without penalty or interest. Call the EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center 1-888-745-3886 (toll-free).
• The Small Business Finance Center (SBFC) partners with Financial Development Corporations to provide loan guarantees and direct loans for small businesses that experience capital access barriers. For more info about loan programs can be found here.
Helpful Links Regarding COVID-19:
• City of Pasadena Novel Coronavirus page
• Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Information Page & Business Toolkit
• Center for Disease Control and Prevention Novel Coronavirus page
• Center for Disease Control Guidelines for Workplace, Home & School
• Before travelling, please visit the Department of State Travel Advisory page
• Please call 211, the LA County hotline, for any health and human services needs.
• Follow the City of Pasadena on Social Media for frequent updates: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
City Hall Closures, Cancellations & Service Modifications:
The City of Pasadena continues to closely monitor coronavirus (COVID-19) developments. Based on the latest public health information and the urgent need to stop the spread of the virus, the City is closing several public facilities and making the following service modifications. For more information click here.
Sign-Up for Business Briefing Updates:
Please encourage your merchants, business owners, and associates to subscribe to receive these business updates related to the City of Pasadena's response to COVID-19. To subscribe, click here.
We appreciate our business community's patience, understanding, and support
as we navigate the challenges related to COVID-19.
We are a resilient community.
We are in this together.
Please stay healthy and safe.