Legacy Business Program

Pasadena is proud to have a variety of businesses that have operated in the city for over 50 years and contribute to the culture of the city.  The Legacy Business Program was established by the City of Pasadena to recognize these long-standing businesses which are independently owned, and have proven to be a vital part of our community. Legacy Businesses across the city are identified with a Legacy Business Marker and highlighted below. To be eligible for the Legacy Business Program, businesses must be established for 50 years or longer.

If you are interested in applying for the Legacy Business Program, please submit your application
to Christopher Page cpage@cityofpasdena.net or economicdevelopment@cityofpasadena.net.

Legacy Business Application

Established in 1889

Established in 1889 and in Pasadena since 1903, Pashgian Brothers is one of the nation's oldest and most respected purveyors of fine rugs. They are a source for high quality, handcrafted traditional, modern, custom design, and signature antique rugs. For over a century and two decades of expertise, Pashgian Brothers has been known for their top-grade rugs and outstanding services such as appraisals, cleaning, and repairs. With countless satisfied clientele, Pashgian Brothers has become a staple in Pasadena's business community.

More information about Pashgian Brothers

Established in 1894

Vroman’s Bookstore was founded in 1894 by Adam Clark Vroman, a lover of books and giving back to his community who has helped rescue some of the old Franciscan missions from decay, has helped establish the Southwest Museum (now part of the Autry Museum), and a great supporter of the Pasadena Public Library. Throughout the years, the store has supported a variety of causes and institutions including the Vroman's Gives Back program benefiting local nonprofits and is even famous for its world class author signings and over 400 free community events a year.

More information about Vroman’s Bookstore

Established in 1906

An iconic Pasadena landmark for over 100 years, the Huntington Hotel has provided memories for millions of guests over the decades. Opened in 1914 by railroad tycoon Henry Huntington and designed by architect Myron Hunt, the hotel has served as an exclusive getaway for entertainers, writers, royalty, and presidents, as well as a backdrop for many television and film productions. Throughout the years, the Huntington Hotel has sought to maintain close civic connections and create meaningful memories with guests and locals alike.

More Information about Langham Huntington Hotel

Nouri Rugs

Established in 1907

Nouri Rugs is a 4th generation family business specializing in handmade rugs and antiques. Jay Nouri’s grandfather’s extensive knowledge in the business allowed him to create a new and effective way to clean rugs organically. The business originated in Iran and later moved to Paris to open another location. In 1907, after 5 years in Paris, the family opened their Pasadena store. With their long-standing expertise and quality of work, Nouri Rugs has built a notable reputation in Pasadena’s businesses community, even volunteering to appraise rugs and antiques for the Huntington Collection.

More information about Nouri Rugs

Established in 1907

Wood & Jones was founded in 1907 by New England pressman, Bert Wood and Canadian typographer, Fred Jones, in Pasadena’s Mercantile Alley, while Typecraft got its start after World War II when Emer Bates, then publisher of the Pasadena Independent newspaper and returning pilot, Len Jasmin decided to open a print shop. Merging in 2000, Typecraft Wood & Jones moved to Typecraft Inc.’s current location on East Walnut Street. Throughout the years Typecraft has led the way, adopting printing technologies that later became industry standard and the first print shop on the West Coast to use innovative computer-to-plate technologies.

More information about Typecraft Wood & Jones

Established in 1912

In 1912, Anderson’s founder C. Elmer Anderson established “Anderson Typewriter Company”. Shortly after, the company took on the renowned line of Royal and Smith Corona typewriters and was awarded the vast Southern California Territory. As the “electronic era” emerged, Anderson became one of the leaders in sales and service of this new technology. Soon after, digital and cloud connected products and services became a fundamental part of their business and in 1995, Anderson officially changed its name to “Anderson Business Technology” and is still operated by the same family ownership.

More information about Anderson Business Technology

Established in 1914

The French Hand Laundry was founded in 1914 by French couple Marie and Albert Cottave who wanted to provide fine laundry services to the Pasadena community. When dry cleaning was added into the business, the name changed to French Hand Laundry and Dry Cleaning. After working for the owner for many years, Susan and her mother Virginia McManigal bought the business in 1994. Over the years, The French Hand Laundry and Dry Cleaning has developed a nationwide reputation for excellence with customers spanning the US.

More information about French Hand Laundry

Massie Roofing

Massie Roofing Company

Established in 1920

Founded in 1920 by E D Massie, Massie Roofing was located on Lake Avenue in Pasadena adjacent to the Santa Fe railroad line. Ed Labaker, E D Massie’s son-in-law, ran the business office and roofing company until 1960. From 1960 to 1983 the Edwards family operated the company from various addresses on Lake Avenue. Since the fall of 1983 the Winschel family has operated Massie Roofing. In 1986 the office moved from Lake Avenue to its present location on Walnut Street.

Established in 1920

Mijares, founded in 1920 is a fouth-generation family business and Pasadena’s oldest restaurant, celebrating over 100 years in business. Jesucita Mijares left Mexico and relocated her family to Pasadena, turning her family home into a tortilla and tamale business. During the Depression, Jesucita converted her large family home into a boarding home, employing many local women. As the family grew, Jesucita saw a need for more space for her growing business. Today, Mijares is a 600-seat full-service Mexican restaurant with outdoor dining, delivery and catering services.

More information about Mijares

Established in 1921

George L. Throop Company was founded in 1921 by George L. Throop. Throop Sr. started selling feed for horses and coal for heating homes, but when World War II broke out, the federal government leased the property and used the warehouses to store and deliver food to soldiers. When the war ended, Throop Sr. decided to go into the building material business later adding a lumber department. In 1979, the business expanded to include concrete, the beginning of their specialty concrete production including their notable Rapid Set Concrete.

More information about George L. Throop

Established in 1938

Founded in 1938 by Warren Childs and James O’Neil after graduating from the University of Illinois, Dy-Dee Diaper Service originally operated under two names: “Wee Folks Diaper Service” and “Dainty Didy Service” before becoming in “Dy-Dee Diaper Service” in 1950s. At its peak, Dy-Dee Diaper Service served 13,000 customers in Pasadena. They later expanded the business to include linen services. Today, California Linens Services provides quality table linens, apparel, textiles, and cleaning supplies to the restaurant industry.

More information about Dy-Dee Diaper Service

Fedde Furniture

Established in 1938

In 1937, Arnold and Ellen Fedde started Fedde Furniture on the same block that it stands today. During difficult economic times, Arnold and Ellen started a home furnishings business. The goal was simple, offer a quality product at a competitive value that would offer comfort and satisfaction to every customer. Over the years, Fedde Furniture expanded their showrooms and grew to two locations. As the family tradition has continued to grow over the years, Don Fedde took over as president in 1963. Now, Mark Fedde and Melinda Fedde Kenney, third generation continue the family tradition for many more years to come.

More information about Fedde Furnitute

Established in 1939

Established in 1939, Krost is a provider of more than 80 years of service to the community as a full-service Certified Public Accounting and Consulting firm. Founder Robert B. Krost set out to open his own firm, formerly known as Robert B. Krost Public Accountant to help his clients through various tax rules and regulations of the time. They provide services in accounting, tax and consulting that encourage both personal and professional growth. Krost was the first accounting practice in the Pasadena area to be computerized with one of the first automated accounting systems, Monrobot in 1968.

More information about Krost

Licher Direct Mail, Inc.

Established in 1946

Bess Licher started Licher Direct Mail, Inc. in 1946 in her garage after recognizing the community’s need for mailing and printing services. In 1953 she recruited her husband, Wayne Licher, Sr. to handle the graphic design. Licher Direct Mail, Inc. started as a small printing press that sold baby announcement cards. Like any successful company, Licher has changed with the times to better serve clients. Continued investment in equipment, computers, software, and training has kept Licher competitive. Today, the business provides printing and bindery services and now serves clientele like Disney, St. Jude Hospital, and the City of Pasadena.

More information about Licher Direct Mail, Inc.

Original Whistle Stop

Established in 1951

Bess Licher started Licher Direct Mail, Inc. in 1946 in her garage after recognizing the community’s need for mailing and printing services. In 1953 she recruited her husband, Wayne Licher, Sr. to handle the graphic design. Licher Direct Mail, Inc. started as a small printing press that sold baby announcement cards. Like any successful company, Licher has changed with the times to better serve clients. Continued investment in equipment, computers, software, and training has kept Licher competitive. Today, the business provides printing and bindery services and now serves clientele like Disney, St. Jude Hospital, and the City of Pasadena.

More information about The Original Whistle Stop

Johnny’s Sports Shop

Johnny's Sports Shop

Established in 1954

Founded in 1954 by Johnny Ota after returning from the World War II internment camps, Johnny’s Sport Shop started as a side business for selling advice and fishing tackle next to the family home. He and his wife, Itsy, sold many types of outdoor and recreational gear. Local Pasadena legends like Jackie Robinson and Michael Cooper even bought their shoes at Johnny’s Sport Shop. Beginning in the 1980s, Johnny’s Sport Shop exclusively sold fishing tackle. Today, the shop sells over 20 types of frozen and live bait, new and historical gear, and even practical fishing techniques.