Pasadena Public Library
Reproduction Agreement for Historical Materials
The Pasadena Public Library provides digital access to photographs and other archival materials in its special collection for Personal, Educational, and Research use only. Any other kind of use outside the scope of Fair Use as stated in Title 17, Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976 may be subject to copyright restrictions or fees. The Library's physical ownership of the materials in its collection does not imply ownership of copyright. It is the user’s responsibility to resolve any copyright issues related to the use and distribution of reproduced materials.
- Library customers may bring their own equipment or arrange for a professional photographer to make copies on the premises or in certain cases arrange for the image to be scanned by library staff. Upon request, staff may scan library materials that are not already digitized. Reproduction of any library materials is always at the discretion of the Pasadena Public Library. We reserve the right to refuse to reproduce materials in our collections if materials might be damaged by the reproduction process, if the intellectual integrity of the collection will be jeopardized or if reproduction is restricted by United States Copyright Law or by donor agreement.
- While the Library strives to make the best quality scan possible, the Library makes no claims for the quality of any of its photos or scans. The Library scans to common library standards and assumes no obligation to scan to a customer’s specifications.
- If customers would like a print of the image, they are responsible for working with an outside print service or studio directly.
- A low resolution digital copy is available to anyone without a fee.
- For those who live or work in Pasadena, there is no fee for receiving high resolution digital copies if the reproduction is for personal, educational, or research use only. A valid Pasadena Public Library account with a current address on file is required to show proof of residency.
- Non-residents of Pasadena including for-profit and non-profit organizations will be charged at the following rate for high resolution images:
- Reference/Decor $15 (Personal or private use)
- Publication $50 (Print or digital)
- Film/Broadcast $150
- Public Exhibits/Advertising $150 (Commercial or public use)
- Scanned images may be distributed in two ways:
- A high resolution scan emailed to the customer or saved on USB flash drive. Fees may apply.
- A low resolution scan taken directly from the web or emailed to the customer. No fee.
- The Pasadena Public Library must be given credit as the source of the image when it is used in any publication, media production, website, or public display. The credit line should read: Courtesy of the Pasadena Public Library, Pasadena, California.
- Images belonging to the Pasadena Public Library may be taken directly from the Pasadena Digital History Collaboration’s website and used without payment of a fee. When used in any publication, media production, website, or public display, the Pasadena Public Library must be given credit. The credit line should read: Courtesy of the Pasadena Public Library, Pasadena, California.
- The Library’s physical ownership of the materials in its collection does not imply ownership of copyright. Nor does the payment of any fees to the Library constitute any assertion that the Library possesses any status as a copyright holder. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to resolve any copyright questions pertaining to the use of the reproduced materials.