While libraries remain closed as a precautionary measure to prevent coronavirus infections, please use the eCard option below to start a new library card account. If you already have a library card, your card number can be used for ALL resources, including eResources. If your regular card number is not allowing you access to your account for placing holds, to hoopla or to any of our resources, please contact library staff for assistance with your PIN, expiration or any other issues, via telephone, live chat or email.
You may obtain a permanent card by completing the registration form above. You’ll need to complete your registration for a permanent library card by visiting any Pasadena Public Library location with a valid form of photo identification and proof of your current address. See Card Details below for information on acceptable address verification documentation.
Once you’ve completed your registration for a permanent card, you’ll be able to:
- Place hold requests through our online catalog.
- Check out items at all Pasadena Public Libraries.
- Take advantage of our Digital Library.
Library Closed? Get an eCard Now!
Need to access online articles right away?* Register online and receive a temporary barcode. Then contact Library staff to create a full eCard account, via the following channels Mon-Fri, 9 am-5:30 pm:
- Live Chat
- Telephone: 626-744-4066, option 7. If staff are unavailable, leave a voicemail and we will return your call
- Ask Us!, our email-based customer service
We will ask for your account information and activate your account, providing access to all our electronic resources, includinng eBooks & eAudiobooks, movies and music, as well as research and discovery resources. Your eCard also allows you to place holds on physical books, CDs and DVDs; Check out up to 20 items at a time using curbside pickup service.
*If you already have a full permanent library card, your card number/barcode is all you need for all resources, including eResources (databases, hoopla, Libby, etc.). If your card number is not providing access to your account or to an online resource, please contact Library staff for assistance via telephone, live chat, or email.
Library cards are available at all Pasadena locations free of charge to any resident of the State of California. Temporary library card numbers, which can be used for certain online services and can be converted to permanent library cards within 60 days can be obtained online by following the procedures above for obtaining an eCard.
To receive a permanent card, you must have a photo ID showing your name and verifiable current home address, such as a driver’s license or an ID card issued by the DMV. If you don’t have a driver’s license or an ID card from the DMV, you may present a different photo ID plus one of the following which must have your current home address: printed personal check, credit card, rental or property tax receipt, or business mail with current postmark. A business address or Post Office box may not be used in place of a home address but may be used in addition to home address.
Young people ages 17 and under are required to obtain the signature of a parent or guardian before being issued a library card. If the parent or guardian is not with the youth when the signed library card application is presented, the youth borrower card will be mailed to the provided home address.
Pasadena library cards are valid at all Pasadena Public Libraries.
Persons unable to obtain a regular library card due to problems of non-residency or lack of address verification may be able to obtain a Guest card, usable only in Pasadena Public Library. This Guest card permits access to our computer system and permits the user to check out a single item. If the cardholder later meets qualifications the card can be upgraded to a regular card which allows the cardholder full rights such as borrowing multiple items and placing hold requests.
Pasadena Public Library provides a library card for local business and organizations that allows you to:
- Access the library’s online business resources at home or at work. The library subscribes to more than 30 databases, including business, news and more.
- Share the card with your employees to take full advantage of these helpful online resources. Give your card number to anyone in your business or organization to use. The card is to be used only for accessing online resources. It cannot be used to check out any materials. So feel free to share!
- Receive notification of the library’s new business programs, services, and resources.
Get a Business Library Card
Complete the Business Library Card application form and bring it to the library’s circulation desk with:
- Your photo ID
- A proof of relationship between you and the business (you don’t need to be the business owner to apply), such as a business card, business license, or any other business documents with your name, the business name and address on it.
For more information, call (626) 744-4066 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Homebased Library Card is available to residents of Pasadena who are confined to their home or convalescent center due to illness, injury or disability. The Homebased Library Card does not incur fines; however, standard library card limits and due dates apply. The Homebased card holder may contact any Pasadena Public Library to have their materials selected and held for pick up by their designee. The library card must be presented at the time of check out. Homebased Library Cards are also available for group homes.
For more information call (626) 744-4066.
Teachers and Homeschool Educators may apply for an Educator Card if they teach preschool – 8th grade and meet one of the following criteria:
- Teach at a school in Pasadena Unified School District or within the City of Pasadena
- Teach in another city but live in Pasadena
To apply for your card, visit any Pasadena Public Library branch and bring both:
- Proof of residency in Pasadena (if applicable)
- Proof of employment at a school OR official verification of your status as someone who homeschools
Card Benefits and Policies:
- Fines are waived for overdue materials.
- This card is in addition to your personal library card. It may be used to check out and reserve items at any Pasadena Public Library.
- 100 items may be checked out for 3 weeks and can be renewed 3 times.
- You may check out up to 20 DVDs for 1 week from the Juvenile collection.
- You can check out materials for classroom use only on this Educator Card.
- Educator borrowing privileges will be suspended if you have 5 or more items recorded as “lost” on your card.
- Fees for lost materials cannot be waived.
- Your Educator card will expire on July 31 each year, and must be renewed for the next school year.