If you already have a library card, your card number can be used for ALL resources, including eResources. If your regular card number is not allowing you access to your account for placing holds, to hoopla or to any of our resources, please contact library staff for assistance with your PIN, expiration or any other issues, at a Branch Library, via telephone, live chat or email.
You’ll need to complete your registration for a permanent library card by visiting any Pasadena Public Library location with a valid form of photo identification and proof of your current address. See Card Details below for information on acceptable address verification documentation.
Once you’ve completed your registration for a permanent card, you’ll be able to:
- Place hold requests through our online catalog.
- Check out items at all Pasadena Public Libraries.
- Take advantage of our Digital Library.
Library closed? Get a T-Card Now!
Need to access online articles right away?* Register online and receive a temporary barcode. This will be your temporary library card, or
T-Card account. Your T-Card is a quick-service, temporary account:
- Use it right away to place holds for library materials (you will need a permanent card to check them out)
- Use it right away to access our research databases remotely: add a prefix of "29009000" to the front of your temporary barcode and enter that 14-digit number (no spaces) to authenticate your account in any of our remote-access databases.
- T-Card accounts expire 90 days from the date of issue and are not renewable
- You will not have access to eMedia or eBook platforms with a T-Card
- Come into any Pasadena Public Library location with photo ID before your T-Card expires and staff can convert your account to a full permanent library card.
*If you already have a full permanent library card, your card number/barcode is all you need for all resources, including databases and eMedia (hoopla, Libby, CloudLibrary). If your card number is not providing access to your account or to an online resource, please contact Library staff for assistance via telephone, live chat, or email.
eCards issued during Library closure for COVID-19 precautions are no longer available. All existing eCards will expire no later than November 1, 2021. Please come to any Pasadena Public Library location during operating hours to convert eCard accounts to full permanent library card accounts. You will be asked for photo ID and proof of current California residence.
Library cards are available at all Pasadena locations free of charge to any resident of the State of California. Temporary library card numbers, which can be used for certain online services and can be converted to permanent library cards within 60 days can be obtained online by following the procedures above for obtaining an eCard.
To receive a permanent card, you must have a photo ID showing your name and verifiable current home address, such as a driver’s license or an ID card issued by the DMV. If you don’t have a driver’s license or an ID card from the DMV, you may present a different photo ID plus one of the following which must have your current home address: printed personal check, credit card, rental or property tax receipt, or business mail with current postmark. A business address or Post Office box may not be used in place of a home address but may be used in addition to home address.
Young people ages 17 and under are required to obtain the signature of a parent or guardian before being issued a library card. If the parent or guardian is not with the youth when the signed library card application is presented, the youth borrower card will be mailed to the provided home address.
Pasadena library cards are valid at all Pasadena Public Libraries.
Persons unable to obtain a regular library card due to problems of non-residency or lack of address verification may be able to obtain a Guest card, usable only in Pasadena Public Library. This Guest card permits access to our computer system and permits the user to check out a single item. If the cardholder later meets qualifications the card can be upgraded to a regular card which allows the cardholder full rights such as borrowing multiple items and placing hold requests.
Pasadena Public Library provides a library card for local business and organizations that allows you to:
- Access the library’s online business resources at home or at work. The library subscribes to more than 30 databases, including business, news and more.
- Share the card with your employees to take full advantage of these helpful online resources. Give your card number to anyone in your business or organization to use. The card is to be used only for accessing online resources. It cannot be used to check out any materials. So feel free to share!
- Receive notification of the library’s new business programs, services, and resources.
Get a Business Library Card
Complete the Business Library Card application form and bring it to the library’s circulation desk with:
- Your photo ID
- A proof of relationship between you and the business (you don’t need to be the business owner to apply), such as a business card, business license, or any other business documents with your name, the business name and address on it.
For more information, call (626) 744-4066 or email email@example.com
The Homebased Library Card is available to residents of Pasadena who are confined to their home or convalescent center due to illness, injury or disability. The Homebased Library Card does not incur fines; however, standard library card limits and due dates apply. The Homebased card holder may contact any Pasadena Public Library to have their materials selected and held for pick up by their designee. The library card must be presented at the time of check out. Homebased Library Cards are also available for group homes.
For more information call (626) 744-4066.
Educator Card Policy
Educator cards are intended to provide teachers and educators a way to checkout and provide materials for use in their classrooms.
Under the general library card registration policy, personal identification is required in the form of a current photo ID. If your ID does not have a current address, a current bill or receipt may be used to prove residence.
To be eligible for an Educator Card, you must:
- Teach preschool – 12 grade OR
- Homeschool children ages 18 and under
And meet one of the following criteria:
- Teach for Pasadena Unified School District
- Teach in Pasadena
- Live in Pasadena
Educators must show proof of residency in Pasadena and/or verification of employment/homeschool status.
- Educator cards can only be used to borrow curriculum-related materials – therefore you are allowed to have two separate library card accounts, both an Educator card and a Personal library card. Your Personal library card should be used to borrow library materials for personal use.
- You may check out a total of 100 items for 6 weeks.
- You may check out up to 20 DVDs at a time.
- You can renew materials up to 2 times, provided no one else has a hold on the items.
- Educator borrowing privileges will be suspended if you have $125 worth of lost and replacement items on your card.
- Lost and replacement items will be carried over on your card for each year.
- Your Educator card will expire on July 31 of each year, and must be renewed for the next school year.
To renew your card, just show verification of your address and teaching status.