PASADENA, CA — Back-to-school season is here, and the library has just what students need to make it their best year yet! The Pasadena Public Library has a vast collection of free resources to aid students throughout the school year, ensuring each student has the tools they need to succeed. Visit any of our 10 library branches to browse our special collections, access computers and Wi-Fi, enjoy educational programs, receive one-on-one assistance from librarians, and more. Some of our library offerings include:
Among the variety of special collections offered by the library is our Homeschool collection. Located at La Pintoresca Branch Library, the collection includes learning equipment that supports homeschool education and curricula, offering microscope slides, models, maps, and more for check-out.
Computers, Wi-Fi, Chromebooks, and Hotspots
Whether using a computer at the library or home, internet access is only a library card away. All branch locations offer access to computers and free Wi-Fi during business hours. Chromebooks and hotspots are available for checkout, allowing students to access the internet anywhere.
Along with our regular weekly storytimes - which foster language acquisition, gross and fine motor skills and encourage socialization - the library offers tutoring assistance programs. Our in-person Homework Help program, pairs students with tutors to help support their education. Homework Help begins in September, every Monday to Thursday, except September 4 and October 26, from 4 to 6 p.m., at Hastings Branch, 3325 E. Orange Grove Blvd., serving students in kindergarten through fifth grade, and from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at La Pintoresca Branch, 1355 N. Raymond Ave., serving students in kindergarten through middle school. Live tutors are also available online at any hour of the day. With Brainfuse HelpNow, you are just moments away from connecting with a live tutor. Simply select your grade and subject from a drop-down menu, and you will be paired with an expert tutor for live help.
Additional online resources are available 24/7 through our website. The library offers access to several databases on diverse subject matter to aid in school projects, research, tutoring, and more. To learn more browse through the extensive collection at https://CityOfPasadena.Libguides.Com/Databases/BySubject. Or search a more refined list under the Student Resources (K–12) tab. Some noteworthy educational online resources available include:
• ABC Mouse – An online curriculum boasting over 5,000 interactive books, educational games, puzzles, and activities, for learners ages two to seven.
• BritannicaSchool and BritannicaEscolar – An English and Spanish digital encyclopedia offering articles, images, videos, audio clips, primary sources, maps, and research tools for elementary, middle, or high school students.
• Brainfuse HelpNow – An online educational aid offering free tutoring, standardized test prep, study tools, and more.
• Learning Express Library – An online collection of practice tests, study aides, and support for job seeking students.
• Teaching Books – A collection of resources that aid readers in connecting with books enabling deeper insight and understanding of the content.
Pasadena Public Library has a wealth of resources available to ease the transition back to school. To learn more about the library, visit https://www.CityOfPasadena.Net/Library.