The Pasadena Public Library offers Book Groups at nearly all locations.
Please check the events calendar using the “Book Group” filter, or call the appropriate library to find the date and time of the current month’s meeting. If book titles are unlisted, please call the host branch to find out what the current selection is.
Book Group Kits
Have your own book club? Try one of our Book Group Kits complete with a set of 15 copies of the book and discussion questions.
What Is A Book Group Kit?
A Book Group Kit is a canvas bag that contains everything that a book discussion group needs to read and discuss a book:
- 15 copies of the same book
- A notebook containing:
- Discussion questions
- Tips on how to conduct a book group
- Guidelines for Book Discussions
- Find book titles
What Are The Advantages Of Book Groups Using The Library’s Book Group Kits?
- Book group members frequently have difficulty finding a copy of a book they want because it is checked out from the library. This is an easier way of borrowing books.
- Some book group members do not want to buy books and the group cannot find enough at a bookstore.
- Sometimes book groups cannot find discussion questions. Discussion questions come with every kit.
What Are The Book Group Kit Rules For My Group?
Kits are checked out using your library card. They can be reserved using the Library Catalog. The person checking out the kit is responsible for returning all books and the notebook containing the supplemental material.
Due to high demand, groups are allowed to check out only one or two kits at a time. Each kit is checked out for 8 weeks and cannot be renewed. Kits can be shipped to any Pasadena Public Library location for request pickup.
The kits must be returned to the circulation desk inside any of the Pasadena Public Library locations. If your group happens to lose a book, we ask that you replace it with another new copy of the book, preferably in paperback.
How Else Does The Pasadena Library Assist Community Book Groups?
Many book groups work with Pasadena Public Library Branch Managers to find meeting room space and to hear of new books. Central Library can offer general assistance with requesting the kits and with using the Library catalog to reserve kits by calling 626-744-4066, press 7.
My Book Group Would Like To Donate Part Or All Of A New Book Group Kit. Can We Do This?
Yes. The Library is always adding new kits and we would love donations. At this time, $250 will fund the purchase of 15 copies of Book Group Kit titles. Find more information about making library donations.
Check our events calendar for book groups geared to all ages (families) and children.
Check our events calendar for events
- Allendale Book Discussion Group: Call (626) 744-7260 for the upcoming reading schedule, or check events calendar for dates and titles
- Book Chit Chat: Call (626) 744-7262 for the upcoming reading schedule, check events calendar for dates and to sign up
- iBook Club of Pasadena: For "New Adult" readers in their 20s and 30s, including participants using speech-generating devices, are welcome. Call (626) 744-7262 for the upcoming reading schedule, check events calendar for dates and to sign up
Hill Avenue Branch
- Hill Avenue Book Club: Call (626) 744-7264 for the upcoming reading schedule, check events calendar for dates and to sign up
Lamanda Park Branch
- Great Literature Reading Group: Call (626) 744-7266 for the upcoming reading schedule, check events calendar for dates and to sign up
Linda Vista Branch/San Rafael Branch
- West Pasadena Book Discussion Group: Check events calendar for upcoming reading schedule, for dates and to sign up
Santa Catalina Branch
- Pasadena Readers: Call (626) 744-7272 for the upcoming reading schedule, check events calendar for dates and to sign up