- Whereas the Civil Rights movement of the 1960’s has profoundly impacted the course of American history and continues to shape the direction and debate of our society; and
- Whereas one of the great leaders of that 20th century movement is Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., whose “dream” is no less inspirational and important today than when he first expressed it more than 50 years ago; and
- Whereas the Martin Luther King Community Coalition of Pasadena is dedicated to keeping that dream alive, pursuing justice in the community of Pasadena;
- Whereas even with the gains of the Civil Rights movement over the years, there are many goals and needs that must be pursued to continue our commitment to achieve justice in our society, including a commitment to economic justice in the face of increasing disparity between rich and poor; and
- Now, Therefore I, Terry Tornek, Mayor of the City of Pasadena, on behalf of the City Council, do hereby proclaim January 21, 2019 as
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
urging that we all rededicate ourselves achieving Dr. King’s dream.