- Whereas gun violence touches every segment of our society and impacts people of all ages; it increases the probability of death in incidents of domestic violence; raises the likelihood of fatalities by those who intend to injure others, and among those who attempt suicide; it places children and young people at increased risk of physical harm and injury; and disproportionately affects communities of color; and
- Whereas Gun Violence Awareness Weekend honors the many lives that have been cut short by gun violence in our country and supports efforts to reduce gun-related crimes in the United States; and
- Whereas it is important to recognize community organizations which assist families that have been directly impacted by gun violence and provide a continuum of care to grieving parents or spouses who must continue to provide for surviving family members; and
- Whereas the City supports continued statewide efforts to strengthen gun safety laws and educate the community on safe gun storage; and
- Whereas it is appropriate to set aside time to honor those Americans whose lives are cut short each year by gun violence, and the countless survivors whose lives are forever altered;
- Now, Therefore I, Terry Tornek, Mayor of the City of Pasadena, on behalf of the City Council, do hereby proclaim June 7-9, 2019 in Pasadena as Gun Violence Awareness Weekend and urge all citizens, businesses, organizations, and agencies to work collaboratively to reduce gun violence in our community.