Fee Paying Inmate Worker Program

The Pasadena Police Department offers a Fee Paying Inmate Worker program for qualified men and women who have been sentenced to serve time in jail.

What is the Fee Paying Inmate Program?

The Fee Paying Inmate Worker program offers an alternative to serving time in the county jail. Men and women can serve time when sentenced to jail due to a misdemeanor conviction such as driving under the influence or a non-drug related case. Subjects with a history of violent behavior will not be admitted to this program. With the approval of the sentencing court, your time can be served in the modern, safe, clean and secure environment of the Pasadena Police Department Jail.

What is the price?

$143.00 per day. Fees are due in advance and are only accepted in the form of either a money order or cashier check. There is a one-time administrative fee of $64.00.

How can I serve my time?

There are two ways to serve the sentenced time:

WORK FURLOUGH – With court permission, subjects can maintain their work schedule by serving weeknights in jail. Checkout times are established for both morning releases and evening returns to jail. Times are usually 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. or 8:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.

STRAIGHT TIME – Subjects serve their sentences on consecutive days. This may include weekends.

How is my time calculated?

Time is calculated on an hour for hour basis.

WORK FURLOUGH – If you report for two nights (12 hours each night), you will receive credit for one day (24 hours).
STRAIGHT TIME – If you report at 8:00 p.m. on Friday night and check out at 8:00 p.m. on Sunday night, you will receive credit for two days (48 hours).

What is good time/work time?

Judges may award sentenced subjects “Good Time/Work Time” (GTWT) credit. This credit is earned during your stay if you serve your time in an acceptable manner without violating jail rules or committing another crime while in custody. You must have been sentenced to eleven or more days to begin receiving GTWT credits.

Will I be housed with other prisoners?

Fee Paying Inmate Workers are housed separate from all other inmates and will have minimal contact with the regular inmate population, during meal service. Inmate Workers are required by law to work outside of their cells for a minimum of 4 hours each day. As a result, you will assist with minor chores such as food preparation, light cleaning, laundry, trash removal, etc. Subjects who are unwilling or unable to follow instructions will be dismissed from the program.

Can I bring prescription medications?

The Pasadena Police Department Jail will not accept persons with serious medical problems or requiring the administration of multiple medications. Subjects are permitted to bring one (1) prescription medication, with the approval of the Jail Administrator, in the original prescription bottle, providing that the label bears the pharmacy’s name, your name, the type of medication and the required dosage. Persons requiring multiple medications will not be accepted into this program.

What property may I bring with me?

Payment in the form of a cashier’s check or money order, photo identification, one change of undergarments (e.g., a T-shirt, one pair of underwear, one pair of socks). You may bring your prescription glasses or contact lenses & solution. Permitted toiletries include travel-size toothbrush, toothpaste and deodorant. One pair of shower shoes, (worn only inside the trustee housing unit), one Bible or other book. The only permitted jewelry is a watch. Smoking is not permitted. Please arrive with all of your permitted items in a plastic or paper bag.

To view the list of permitted items click the link below.

Authorized Items Form

May I have visitors?

Visiting Hours for Fee Paying Inmate Workers are daily, between 3 and 7 PM

Where are you located?

The Pasadena Police Department Jail is located at 207 N. Garfield Avenue. From the 210 Freeway, exit south onto Marengo Ave and turn left at Walnut Street. Proceed east, one block to Garfield Avenue and turn right. We are on the southwest corner of Garfield Ave and Walnut Street.

Is parking available?

We encourage you to have someone drop you off to complete your stay. If this is not possible, fee based parking is available in the county parking structure. This structure is located directly behind the police building on Thurgood Marshall Street.

How can I serve my time at the Pasadena Jail?

During your sentencing proceedings ask the court to allow you to serve your sentence in the Pasadena City Jail. You will also need to ask for a Court Commitment Order, which states your name, the charge and the sentence (time) to be served. Make sure the court indicates on the Commitment Order that your time may be served at the Pasadena City Jail.

How do I apply?

Contact the Pasadena Police Department at (626) 744-4616 to request a Fee Paying Inmate Worker application. We’ll send the application either by mail or fax within 24 hours of your request. Complete the application, return it with your Court Commitment Order and a current TB test by mail or fax. If your application meets our qualifying criteria, you will be contacted and we’ll schedule a start date to serve your sentence.

Click below for the "Inmate Worker Application" form. Please note this form must be either mailed, faxed or brought in. At this time we do not accept emailed forms.

Inmate Worker Application
IWP Conditions of Confinement

Fax only your completed application,
court commitment order and current TB Test.

If you have any questions, contact the Jail Supervisor at:
(626) 744-4617
or via FAX
(626) 744-4588