An outbreak of pneumonia in Wuhan, China was reported to the World Health Organization (WHO) on December 31, 2019, and a novel coronavirus was soon identified as the cause. On January 21, 2020, CDC announced the first U.S. case in a Washington state traveler who had returned from Wuhan.
The risk of local infection is considered to be low. The Pasadena Public Health Department (PPHD) is closely monitoring the situation and requests medical providers review the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) All Facilities Letter and PPHD Physician Check List linked below. Providers should follow the guidance presented in these two documents if individuals who have traveled to the Wuhan region in the 14 days prior to symptom onset seek treatment for symptoms such as fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Please note, this guidance is based on current information, and may be updated at any time.
- CDC Coronavirus Information Page
- CDPH Coronavirus Information Page
- Los Angeles County Coronavirus Information Page
- California Department of Public Health All Facilities Letter 20-09
- California Department of Public Health All Facilities Letter 20-10
- Pasadena Public Health Department 2019 Novel Coronavirus Physician Check List