Classes in English
Las Clases en Español
The Nutrition and Physical Activity Program provides FREE nutrition classes and workshops to qualified Northwest Pasadena organizations. Our health educators teach lesson plans in English and Spanish. Our classes empower individuals to develop healthier lifestyle habits through increased consumption of healthy foods, regular physical activity, and decreased consumption of foods high in saturated fat, sugar, and calories. We believe that small changes will have a major impact over time; “you don’t have to be perfect, just be better.”
Invite Us to Do a Workshop or Classes at Your Organization!
Class topics and activities may include:
- Eat Better! – Learn about the MyPlate food groups.
- Refresh Better! – Learn to calculate sugar in popular beverages.
- Play Better! - Learn to lead an active lifestyle.
- Get the Facts – Learn to read nutrition facts label.
- Grocery store tips – Learn to shop healthy on a budget.
- Nutritious food demonstrations.
- Grocery Store Tours
- And Much More!
Organizations interested in having one of our trained nutrition educators teach a class or workshop at their location may contact Sherreeta White at email@example.com. Para asistencia en español contacta a Mary Urtecho-Garcia a firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that there are eligibility requirements to be a host organization:
1) Must be located in Northwest Pasadena, 2) Serve low-income populations, 3) Guarantee a minimum of 10 participants per class/workshop.
Physical Activity Promotion
Physical activity is one of the most important things you can do for your health when combined with healthy eating! However, most people do not do enough physical activity. The Nutrition and Physical Activity Program incorporates physical activity promotion into most of its classes.
The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans describes the major research findings on the health benefits of physical activity:
- Regular physical activity reduces the risk of many adverse health outcomes.
There are many ways to stay active! Choose activities that you enjoy and can do regularly. Find someone to workout with and keep it interesting by trying something different on alternate days. Every little bit adds up and doing something is better than doing nothing. Remember, “you don’t have to be perfect, just be better.”