At the checkout desks in the Central Library or in any Pasadena branch, patrons may take care of the following services:
- Check in and check out items.
- Register for library cards – Patrons will need some form of identification to verify their name and address. It may be a driver’s license with a current address, or a driver’s license without current address or some other official photo ID with a check book imprint, bill, or lease to verify the current address.
- Update library patron records (new address, telephone numbers, etc.)
- Obtain a PIN (Personal Identification Number) for use in placing hold requests and with the “My Account” feature of the library catalog.
- Pay overdue fines and/or lost materials.
- Turn in or retrieve “Lost & Found” items.
- Pick up items that have been placed on hold via Telephone.
- Pick up and pay for books or articles requested through interlibrary loan (ILL).
- Pick up items on hold for which “pick-up” notices have been sent (the Central library and Hastings branch offer self-service holds which allows customers to pick up their own library materials without waiting in line.)
Library card holders are responsible for all materials checked out on their card. If card is lost or stolen, report it to the library immediately. The library has established the following policies for the use of library materials:
- Standard Loan Period – 21 days
- DVD Loan Period – 7 days
- Renewals – 3 per item if there are no holds pending
- No renewals on CloudLibrary eBooks
- No renewals on Book Club Book Kits
- Limit on number of items checked out:
- Adults – 100
- Teens/Children – 100
- DVDs – A maximum of 20 DVDs can be out on one library card at any time. A DVD can be checked out for seven (7) days with up to three seven (7) day renewal periods if there are no holds pending.
- eBook and Downloadable Audio/Video – 10 titles may be checked out at a time on each platform and are returned automatically.
- Circulating Magazines – Individual issues of circulating magazines may be checked out; they must be checked out from and returned to the location where they are shelved, and cannot be transferred to another location. Holds cannot be placed on magazines.
- STEAM Kits – STEAM Kits at Central Library must be checked out from and returned to Central Library. Holds may be placed on STEAM Kits by contacting Central Library staff. A maximum of 3 STEAM Kits may be checked out on one library card at any time.
Homeschool Collection at Hastings Branch Library – Learning Equipment and Literacy Kit materials belonging to the Homeschool Resources Collection at Hastings Branch Library may only be checked out from and returned to the Hastings Branch Library. Books and DVDs within the collection are holdable and renewable and follow standard checkout limits.
- Overdue notices are sent 14 days after item is due. Replacement charges including a processing fee are imposed 28 days after the item is due. An account becomes delinquent 56 days after item due date and collection agency fees will be added to the replacement charges and processing fees.
Library materials may not be checked out to patrons who have fines over $20.00.
Other library policies are available in our policies section.
If you can’t find what you want in our catalog, we can borrow materials from other libraries.
- We provide this Interlibrary Loan Service (ILL) for those who have a valid Pasadena library card.
- There is a $2.00 nonrefundable service fee, automatically charged to your library account whether we are able to obtain the item or not. You will be notified ahead of time if the lending library wants to apply additional charges.
- The loan period is normally three weeks. Contact the Interlibrary Loan staff three working days before the due date if you would like us to request permission to renew the item.
- Some materials, such as microfilm, are for library use only.
- Rare books, reference books and books published within the last year are difficult to obtain. For newer items, you may wish to make a suggestion for purchase.
- You will be liable for any lost or damaged materials.
- It may take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to receive an item, with 3 weeks being the average.
- We will notify you if we can’t locate a library that will loan the requested item.
You can place your request in person at any Pasadena Public Library location, over the telephone, or online.
- By phone, call the Central Library (626-744-4066 option #7) or a branch and have your library card, the title and author’s name on hand.
- To place your request online:
- Go to the online library catalog.
- Check the catalog to make sure we do not own the book or magazine. We do not request materials that we already own in the Pasadena Public Library system.
- If we don’t own the item you want, click on the “California Libraries Catalog” link above the search bar in our catalog.
- Enter the title and author’s name and click on “Search.”
- Look through the results list for the one that best matches your needs. Click on the title.
- The resulting page gives detailed information about the book or magazine. Click on the phrase “Borrow this item from another library” or on the ILL icon that looks like two libraries with arrows between them.
- Fill out the resulting form. If you want a copy of your request, print prior to submitting it.
- If you are requesting a copy of a magazine article, note the article title, author, volume, date and pages in the Comments field.
- Click “Submit.” You will get a message stating your submission was successful. If the request was not successful, the notice will state what information is missing from your request.
- At any point in the process, feel free to call Reference Services for assistance. (626-744-4066 option #7)
- Contact the Interlibrary Loan desk by email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 626-744-4223. If staff cannot be reached immediately, messages will be returned as soon as possible.
Patrons may renew in person, by telephone using a touch-tone phone, or online (3 renewals per item if there are no holds pending).
Automated Renewal via Telephone
Patrons with a touch-tone phone can dial into the library to renew their books. The barcode numbers of the library card are required. Call (626) 356-3914.
Automated Renewal via Internet Using Enterprise (the library’s catalog)
Pasadena and library patrons with Internet access can renew their books via the web. To renew or to view your records, you need your library card number and your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Log-in to your account and click on "My Account" in the upper right of the screen to view your account information. In the “Checkouts” tab you can check the items that you would like to renew and click “Renew”.
Hold requests may be made at no charge from any Pasadena Public Library location to have most circulating materials brought to the nearest Pasadena Public Library branch (with the exceptions noted below). In addition to placing holds by coming in or telephoning any branch, patrons may place their own hold requests using the library catalog in the library or online. A valid library card is required as well as a PIN. Items will be held for pick-up for seven days after arrival at the pick-up location. Patrons may have up to 50 open requests at any one time.
- No hold requests may be placed on reference material including items marked “Special Collections”, “Centennial Room” or “Librarians’ Resource (LRC)”.
- No hold requests may be placed on circulating magazines, and magazines can only be checked out from and returned to the Pasadena Library location where they are shelved.
- Hold requests for STEAM Kits from Central Library must be placed by contacting Central Library staff.
- Do not place hold requests on items that have no copies listed or items where all copies are listed as “missing” or “lost”.
- Pasadena Homeschool Kits are not holdable. They must be checked out and returned to the Hastings Branch only.
- Patrons with guest cards may not place holds.
Self-Service Holds Pickup (at Central Library and the Hastings Branch)
Pick up your own holds. We notify you by email, telephone message delivery, or via postal mail when your hold is ready for pick up. Holds are organized on the shelves by the first three letters of the patron’s last name followed by the last three digits of his/her library card number.
Failure to return or renew an overdue item will result in the item being deemed “lost”. Patrons are financially responsible for items deemed lost on their record and will be charged the replacement cost of the item plus a processing fee.
- Unpaid lost item charges may result in collections activity.
- When lost items are returned, the replacement and processing fees will be waived and the maximum late fee will be applied.
- Patrons are encouraged to return or renew Library materials by the due date to avoid charges. If we have a current e-mail address, you will be notified 3 days prior to due date. As a courtesy, the Library sends overdue notices before an item is deemed “lost”. It is the borrower’s responsibility to adhere to due dates regardless of whether the notices are received.
Billing for lost items takes place in the following order:
- For 21 day loans: 28 days after due date.
- For 7 days loans: 12 days after due date.
Payments for lost items
- The Library charges the cost of the lost item plus a non-refundable processing fee for every item billed as lost.
- Partial payments for lost items are not accepted; both cost and the processing fee must be paid at the same time.
- If patrons have a collections fee in addition to the lost item fees, the lost item fees must be paid first and the collections fee last.
- BOOKS: With prior approval from the Circulation Supervisor/ Branch Manager or the Acquisitions Department, patrons may purchase a replacement copy of an item rather than pay the cost.
- When patrons have purchased a replacement without first contacting the library to consent approval, the item will not be accepted until approval is granted.
- If the replacement is approved, the patron will only pay the Processing Fees. The replacement copy must have the same ISBN, same number of pages, and must be in new condition. Books with stickers, writing, stamps, yellowed pages, or loose bindings will not be accepted in lieu of payment. In the case of a classic title (e.g. Pride & Prejudice) the purchased copy must be an unabridged edition.
- MEDIA: Replacements for DVDs and Audiobooks are not allowed.
- PAPERBACKS: Un-cataloged paperbacks will not incur a processing fee if lost or damaged. The library will accept a replacement paperback in lieu of the lost or damaged uncatalogued paperback. The replacement paperback must be in good condition and of comparable quality. Paperback books with stickers, writing, stamps, yellowed pages, or loose bindings will not be accepted.
- A refund is provided for items that are found and returned within three months of payment. The Processing Fee, however, is non-refundable.
- Refund policy does not apply for replacements in lieu of lost books, and partial replacements on A.V. sets. E.g. missing audio book discs and DVDs.
Fines & Fees
Pasadena Public Library has a three day grace period for overdue fines wherein if the items are returned within three days of the due date, no late fees will be assessed. However, if the items are returned on the fourth day overdue, the original due date will be used to calculate the full amount of overdue fees for all four days.
- $.25 (twenty-five cents) per adult item
- $.25 (twenty-five cents) per day, per title (videos)
- $5.00 per adult item
- Special Loan Material
- Daily $1.00 per item
- Maximum $50.00 per item
Lost and Damaged Material
Replacement fee generally is the cost of the item plus $8.00 processing fee.
A default value is assigned to each item that is billed for replacement that does not have a special price.
- Reference material $50.00
- DVD/VHS $50.00
- Magazines $3.00
- Music cassettes, CDs and toys $20.00
- Books $15.00
Processing fee per item. Non-refundable $8.00
- Replacement Fee
- Playaway View case $5.99
- Playaway View battery charger $14.99
- DVD or CD case $2.70
- Toy bags $2.70
- Book covers $2.70
- Barcodes $2.70
- Audio unabridged CD $6.95 per disc (when available individually)
- Replacement fees for lost parts of video/DVD sets will be determined on a case-by-case basis
- Collection Agency fee $15.00 per occurrence
Interlibrary Loan and Holds
- A minimum fee of $2.00 will be charged per interlibrary loan request.
- There is no charge for placing holds on items.
Payment Of Fees
Fines paid in cash can be paid in person at any Pasadena Public Library branch. Fines paid by check or money order can be paid in person or mailed to the attention of the Circulation section of any branch. Checks should be made payable to “City of Pasadena” and the library card number should be written on the check or money order. When paying by mail please include name of cardholder and a valid phone number with the check. Currently the library only accepts credit/debit card payments at our self-check-out machines at Hastings Branch and in the main hall of the Central Library.