Community members can request a police officer to respond to their home or business in Pasadena, where they can surrender the weapon. Individuals may also transport the unloaded weapon to the Pasadena Police Department at 207 N. Garfield Avenue. If you intend to transport the firearm into the police station, please contact the Pasadena Police Department beforehand at (626) 744-4241. The police operator will provide instruction on the safe and legal means for transportation. Gun registration or related paperwork is helpful, although not necessary to voluntarily surrender the firearm.
The police department also accepts unwanted ammunition; however, military ordinance requires special handling and will be evaluated for safe disposal by law enforcement personnel on a case by case basis.
Please follow these important safety instructions before transporting the firearm to the police station.
- Make sure your firearm(s) are unloaded.
- Preferably lock your firearm(s) in a secure container.
- Ammunition can be placed in a box or specific ammunition can.
- Upon transport, lock the firearm(s) in the trunk of your car and store the ammunition in either the glove box and/or the interior compartment area.
- Drive straight to the Police Department located at 207 N. Garfield Ave. Pasadena Ca. Do not stop anywhere else.
- Park and lock your car in front of the Police building and go inside and ask for instructions.
- Upon arrival, make contact with front counter personnel. Tell them that you want to turn in your firearm(s) and/or ammunition for destruction.
Military Ordinance & Explosives
If you should ever encounter any type of military ordinance and/or explosives such as grenades, pipe bombs, sticks of dynamite, or containers of gun powder - do not touch! None of these types of munitions should be considered safe regardless of size or packaging. Contact the Police Department by calling (626) 744-4241. Let the police assess the situation to see if this is a job for the bomb squad.